CodeIgniter PHP NYC - MVC web application framework Message Board › Job - Vimeo - Back End Engineer
New York, NY
We are looking for full-time backend engineers to join our small, passionate New York City based-team. As an engineer at Vimeo you will play a key role in powering and maintaining features that serve the millions of people who make up our user community, and millions more on the web who watch their videos.
Vimeo is the high quality video platform for creative people around the world. The Vimeo team is committed to delivering an inspiring video experience to over 85 million monthly creators and viewers—and we’re growing bigger every day.
Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun and easy way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission today by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. Vimeo is made with love by a highly ambitious, ridiculously innovative, and certifiably hilarious team based in New York City, and we’d love for you to be a part of it.
• Create and maintain the services that power vimeo.com
• Work closely with application engineers to add features, solve problems and optimize performance
Must have skills:
• 2+ years' experience working on a high-volume website
• 4+ years' UNIX experience
• Expertise in PHP5 or Python required
Significant experience in one or more of the following:
• Web analytics
• Apache / nginx under high load
• Varnish, Squid, HAProxy
• Programming for Amazon Web Services
As well as:
• An unhealthy obsession with building efficient, clean, and modular code and data structures
• An ability to trace a performance problem from web browser to server kernel
• Ingenuity to leverage all the tools at your disposal to eke out every last bit of performance and build the best user experience possible
• A desire to be personally responsible for production-level code (and willingness to answer 3am phone calls to fix mistakes)
• A preoccupation with staying on top of industry trends and technologies
Please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org