Got the next “big idea” for a new company? Here is your chance to pitch it to the pros and win a $10,000 cash grant and a guaranteed spot in the blueprint business accelerator! Register for this event here.
* Please register on our host's website here and print your ticket for the conference.
The BLUEPRINT for Westchester is the Westchester County Association’s aggressive campaign to revitalize Westchester’s economy in collaboration with the county’s real estate, business, and academic sectors, and strong participation from Westchester’s six cities and County government. This multi-million dollar, multi-year initiative has been organized and driven by the private sector. Westchester is home to a highly educated workforce, a multi-billion dollar healthcare system, and internationally renowned cultural and recreational offerings. And with magnificent parks and preserves, excellent schools, beautiful communities, and highly touted restaurants and retail establishments, Westchester cannot be beat in terms of our lifestyle.
The Westchester County Association (www.westchester.org) is the preeminent business leadership organization serving Westchester County. The Association is committed to business advocacy, economic vitality and to providing a strong and clear voice for the interests of businesses on the regional, national and international levels. Its key objectives are promoting positive economic development in the region; fostering business development; and providing its members with access and interaction with key public and private sector individuals, agencies and organizations.
"Calling All Entrepreneurs, Startups, and Early-Stage Growth Companies – Hone Your Business Strategies and Find Out How Your Idea Stands Up to the Competition at a Special ‘Entrepreneurs’ Edge’ Workshop and Pitch Contest on Day One (May 7, 2014) of “HealthTech ’14: Fueling Innovation in Westchester”
Who Can Apply—and How
The WCA is now taking applications for the pitch contest. Criteria are simple: Provide a business plan, financials demonstrating a minimum of six months of revenue, and a demonstration of a willingness to locate in Westchester County. Interested entrepreneurs should visit www.healthtech2014.com for more information and application guidelines, and should and submit their applications on April 28. The WCA will notify selected applicants who will pitch on May 7.
Selected companies will have five minutes to present their startup idea or early-stage business plan and answer any questions from a distinguished panel of judges. Be prepared to tell us (a) what problem you are trying to solve; (b) what market sector you want to enter and why; (c) who you are and why you believe you are qualified to lead this enterprise; (d) who is on your team; (e) how much capital you will need to reach the milestones you cite; (f) who or what is your competition.
"Day Two of the Conference Showcases a Burgeoning Health- Bio- and Med-Tech Innovation Culture in Westchester -- Just Minutes North of New York City. Discover the Diverse Opportunities that Await Entrepreneurs Here!"
DAY ONE: Entrepreneurs’ Edge
3:00 pm - Registration
3:30 pm - Welcoming Remarks
Panel: Entrepreneur’s Edge: What You Need to Know About Crowdfunding, Law, Starting a Company, Contracts, Access to Financing
Moderator: Daniel Papes - Executive Vice President of Global Sales, Unify
• Stephen M. Davis - Partner, Goodwin Procter, a NYC based law firm. Mr. Davis is a member of the Technology Companies Group and the Life Sciences, Capital Markets, and Clean Tech Practices and represents many start-up clients in the biotech and life sciences sector.
• Andrew DiSimone - Director of Digital, StartUp Health, an organization that provides entrepreneurs access to capital, resources, and a structured curriculum designed to navigate the challenges to building a business.
• Alex Fair - Co-Founder, MedStartr, a crowdfunding site that works together with individual entrepreneurs and corporations to fund, approve, and adopt new ideas and products, and match mentors with projects.
• Jack Kopnisky - President & CEO, Sterling National Bank, Chair, BLUEPRINT Accelerator Network
• Tracy Warren - General Partner, Battelle Ventures, a venture capital fund with three focus areas: Health and Life Sciences, Energy and Environment, and Security.
4:30 pm -Session: Pitch to the Pros: $10K Cash Grant Opportunity, Acceptance into the BLUEPRINT Accelerator Network
After getting the inside story on the innovation sector, you’ll have the chance to present your Bright Idea—and vie for a cash prize! There are other opportunities as well. Meet the experts, get feedback and leads, and maybe even a post-conference meeting. Stay for two hours of networking and cocktails, then the Accelerate Westchester Prize. Pitch applications should be submitted by email to [masked] and must consist of a full Business Plan, Financials demonstrating a minimum of six months of revenue, and a demonstration of willingness to locate the business in Westchester County. For more information on the BLUEPRINT Accelerator Network, or questions about the pitch, please call[masked]-6444. Applications are due on April 28th. Those selected to pitch will not have to pay to attend Day One of the conference.
• Brian Aoaeh - Partner, KEC Ventures
• Dennis Goett - Principal, Sage Capital Solutions
• Mark Kronenfeld - MD, Vice Chairman of Anesthesiology, Maimonides Medical Center
• Jack Kopnisky - President & CEO, Sterling National Bank, Chair, BLUEPRINT Accelerator Network
• Daniel Papes - Executive Vice President of Global Sales, Unify
• John Cohn - Managing Director, Diamond Capital Advisors
• Stan Freimuth - CEO, Debt Resolve, Inc.
• John Ritacco - President & CEO, CMS Bank
5:30 pm - Networking Reception
7:30 pm - Conclusion of Day One
DAY TWO: Fueling Innovation
Hear from Westchester’s most successful tech companies and healthcare innovators, on the front lines of the health tech explosion. In tandem with New York City’s Innovation Economy, Westchester is fast becoming a hot hub of health tech innovation in the northeast.
7:30 am - Registration
Ongoing Innovation Showcase: Check out the many innovative products from local and regional companies, colleges and universities, medical centers and more. Attendees may visit during breaks, lunch, and during networking sessions.
8:00 am - Breakfast
8:15 am - Welcoming Remarks
8:30 am - Panel Presentations and Discussion
9:00 am - Panel Discussion:
Re-imagining Healthcare: Fueling Innovation in Westchester and Beyond
Researchers, entrepreneurs, and executives at growing biotechnology, pharma, and R&D companies highlight exciting breakthroughs in healthcare technology, from the newest therapeutics, to research, medical treatments, rehabilitation, and product development.
Moderator: Alan Kadish - MD, President, New York Medical College
• Neil Stahl - Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Research and Development Sciences, Regeneron
• Dr. Nezih Cereb - CEO & Co-Founder, Histogenetics
• John Eldridge - Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer – Profectus BioSciences
• David Putrino - Director of Telemedicine & Virtual Rehabilitation, Burke Medical Research Institute
• Daniel E. Couto - Senior Vice President of Manufacturing & Operations, ContraFect Corp.
10:30 am - Break / Innovation Showcase
11:00 a.m.Breakout Panel Sessions
(choose one to attend):
From Lab to Market: The Challenges and Opportunities in Technology Transfer
Jumpstart your venture by licensing breakthrough research from academia’s leading minds. Hear from institutions that are producing and licensing technology, and how innovative companies are turning them into commercial opportunities.
Moderator: Rob Amler MD - Dean, School of Health Sciences and Practice, New York Medical College
• Bruce Bachenheimer - Director, Entrepreneurship Lab, Pace University
• Dr. Colin Bier - CEO, PIN Pharma, Inc.
• Dr. Nathan Tinker - New York Bio
• Ofra Weinberger - Director, Columbia Technology Ventures
The Mobile Health Explosion: Changing Healthcare One App at a Time
When it comes to mobile health, the future is now! New technologies are transforming the way healthcare and wellness is tracked, managed, and delivered – both by consumers and medical professionals. Find out how mobile technology is transforming the healthcare world.
Moderator: Nancie Celini - President, Chief Learning Officer, CAB, Inc. — A NY-Based Technology
• Alan Antin - Chief Operating Officer, Nuvita
• David Crane - CEO, Mobile HealthOne
• Jack Wolf - Chief Information Officer, Montefiore Medical Center
12:15 pm - Presentation of Purchase College Science Entrepreneurship Award
12:20 pm - Lunch and Keynote Speech:
• Steven Safyer - MD, CEO Montefiore Medical Center
1:45 pm - Break / Innovation Showcase
2:00 pm - Afternoon Presentation: IBM Watson and the Future of Medicine
Watson is moving beyond a single-sentence question to analyzing rich case scenarios considering many independent factors. When IBM Watson defeated the human competition on Jeopardy! in 2011, the world took notice. A new kind of cognitive computing emerged—one that could learn and reason about complex, human-oriented forms of information – the type of knowledge practiced in medicine everyday. J. William Murdock, Watson Technologies Master Inventor, will present Watson’s application in the healthcare space, and show how Watson can be used as a tool to help medical professionals identify diagnoses, treatment options, and new possibilities they had not considered before.
3:00 pm - Panel Discussion:
Round Pegs in a Square Hole: The Unique Real Estate Needs of Health Innovators
Entrepreneurs are turning to Westchester as NYC real estate prices climb through the roof. Here’s how our real estate industry is transforming space that may not be as readily available south of the border. Find out about the new criteria and space needs of high-tech companies, and the abundant opportunities for creating affordable, convenient, and plentiful space here.
Moderator: William V. Cuddy - Executive Vice President, CBRE
• Samuel Sia - Co-founder, Harlem BioSpace
• David Friedman - Director, Real Estate at Montefiore
• Guy Leibler - President, Simone Development Healthcare
• Tiffany Phipps - BioMed Realty Trust
• Mark van Summern - AIA, Principal & Director, Perkins Eastman
4:00 pm - Panel Discussion: The Business of Healthcare Innovation
The business of healthcare in Westchester County continues to evolve, particularly with the arrival and expansion of New York City-based institutions into this market. Join Ken Raske, CEO of the Greater New York Hospital Association, as he moderates a panel discussion on how the healthcare landscape is changing in the county, as well as how hospitals are creating and embracing technology to tackle complex healthcare issues.
Moderator: Ken Raske - CEO, Greater New York Hospital Association
• Laura Forese - MD, MPH, President, New York Presbyterian Healthcare System, Group Senior Vice President, New York Presbyterian Hospital
• Robert Glazer - Chief Executive Officer, ENT and Allergy Associates, LLP
• John Gunn - Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
• Dr. Andrew Racine - SVP and Chief Medical Officer, Montefiore Medical Center (Others TBD)
5:00 pm - Cocktails and Innovation Showcase
Day One only: $225.00
Day One and Day Two: $425.00
* For additional information and to register, please visit http://www.healthtech2014.com
Note: If you are not interested in this event, please RSVP "No." That way, you will not get any reminder emails regarding this event in the future.