addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Collaboratory Melbourne Meetup Message Board › Reflections on Strategic Planning

Reflections on Strategic Planning

A former member
Post #: 12
Hello All,

This is an attempt to start a follow up discussion from last night's "strategic planning" session.

I'd like to invite everyone to use this forum to, in the first place, share their notes, reflections, photos, video and whatever else from last night. That way we'll at least have a record.

A few outcomes I hope to see are:

• The writing of a vision or strategy of some sort, in some whiteboard-like space, with someone to steward it
  • The various project ideas, like the open space, finding a way to kick themselves off, with people owning and leading them
  • A solution to the general problem of posting and coordinating projects

My intention is to pursue the third item, by organising another session that drills down into that. But I don't expect I'll host another session focused specifically on "strategic planning" (whatever that may mean).

Cheers,
Matt
Julian W.
user 13848040
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 1
Just to add our little bit. Some scaffolding around the 3 stages of connect, learn, do.

Perhaps to kick off a few of the inner circle could start running some public events or workshops to demonstrate the distributed level of action.

This will build second dancers, followers and a subtle sense of permission to lead within the community.

A former member
Post #: 2
with the third one, i recommend a rapid prototype.. throw something together quickly so we can start using something to get stuff done... then we can plan something more robust... i could build some basic functionality around a site...
Lee R.
user 14587975
Auckland, NZ
How can we 'crack' projects in the next year?
To move beyond discussion and facilitating both existing projects that people are already engaged in (which could be done via a variety of formats - eg world cafe style, or pitch your idea and people move to the project they are most interested in)
or enabling new types of projects that can be created through the intersection of people who attend Collaboratory
Rebecca D.
user 14427611
Melbourne, AU
Okay so here's some notes I structured into a strategic form, seperated into 5 elements which may serve a purpose as a shell for a Manifesto? The idea being, if we can agree (1) Who/What Collab is, and we agree (2) What we are trying to achieve, we can (3) Have principles for how we will go about achieving (4) Our basic activites at a high level, and leave some of the (5) Tools we'll use to the facilitators and doers who jump in and start organising things.

The idea behind this structure is to provide a way to organise ideas and suggestions into how they can help the understanding of people who don't have the context of the discussion, and as a powerful to ask questions that will enable autonomy of action eg. "Is this tool going to help us achieve Collab goals while not conflicting with our principles" etc.

Starting point....

1. Who/What/Where

Melbourne Collaboratory members:

Share an activated desire to do some thing good

And include:
50+ members actively involved in developing the community
200+ members with a shared intention
700+ members with a shared interest
A combined network of 1000's of individuals and businesses

2. What we want to achieve

To contribute to personal success and satisfaction by facilitating opportunities to

connect
learn
contribute

Which we believe will translate into community success and positive change in the world

3. Our actions are guided by principles of

• Living in the understanding the the collaboratory ecosystem is constantly evolving and there is no "one right way"
• Being excellent to each other
• Balancing talk / learn / do
• Sharing evolving language / models to encouraging accessibility
• Acting to nurture a collaborative culture
• Encouraging self ownership
• Understanding many different activities can contribute to the common goal

4. What we're doing

3 tiers of activity:
• Connecting - Nurturing face-to-face & virtual spaces, meetings, and discussions
• Learning - Creating opportunities for sharing of connections, language, skills, tools and models
• Doing - Facilitating emergent space for catalysing creation, feedback, resource gathering and encouragement for personal and community projects which are doing something good,

5. Tools we'll be using

• Meet-ups
• Skill shares
• Annual Gathering event
• A system to collect & communicate projects (tbd)
• Much more - defined by eager facilitors:
The right the tool to use for an activity is the one that will encourage the
facilitator to take action - the people who come are the right people

What we need to do next!

• Agree what defines a "Collaboratory project"
• Agree on basic process structure for how projects and teams interact / are nurtured by the Collaboratory from conception to completion
• Adapt existing technologies to the processes as required
• Communicate!
Mike L.
user 13456524
Geelong, AU
Rebecca, what a great summary/capture of the ideas generated on Wednesday. I'd be very happy with this as an answer to Matt's point 1. (The writing of a vision or strategy of some sort). Now we need a "techie" to find the appropriate whiteboard-like space to host it. My preference would be for a wiki.

I'm putting my hand up to host/facilitate/co-facilitate an Open Space Technology full day. Although I've seen Open Space done in a shorter time, I believe that it needs a full day if we are going to get enough traction behind some real concrete projects.

One consideration for the community: Is it realistic to think of doing something like this before the end of the year? How realistic would a time in January be? Or are we looking at February?

I have a possible venue in Toorak in mind, but if others have suggestions for a venue then I'd love to hear them.