Colorado Barstool Philosophy Club Message Board › RSVP and attendance

RSVP and attendance

Dave
DKilroy
Denver, CO
Hey there friends,

Thanks to everyone who attended the Barstool Philosophy meetup last night. It was great to see the new and familiar faces, and to talk about all the things that matter to us. The new location seemed to work out OK, and the "seed" questions continue to evolve with the feedback of attendees. Thank you all for making this a great group!

Now, the not so fun part. We had a LARGE number of Yes RSVP's that did not show up last night. This is starting to become a problem. I know things come up and we all have busy lives, but I do not see these as excuses that hold much water. It is just a common courtesy that if you RSVP Yes, that you show up. Basic stuff here people. There are more than enough reminders sent out by the group, so forgetting does not cut it either. Having met with several other group organizers, it seems as if this is a problem that all meetup groups face in some way. Most people do not realize that organizers pay a monthly/quarterly/yearly fee to set-up these groups (average cost is about $150 - $200 per year). Even more do not realize that in order to obtain space for 20-30-40 people to gather, you have to meet certain dollar minimums for the group. If that minimum is not met, the organizer has to make up the difference. Last night we did not even come close to that minimum, but I got lucky that the manager let me slide since it was our first outing at Hanson's. If not, I would have had to pay Hanson's about $100 to make up the difference. Sorry, but this is not something I am able to do.

So, I have to ask a few simple questions. Any feedback you wish to provide would help us out tremendously. We are trying to create the best group on Meetup, but we need your help. If you are willing, please provide a response to the questions below to help us help you. Thanks for your time, and I hope to see you all at the next Barstool Philosophy meeting.

1) How far in advance do you RSVP for meetups?

2) Do the reminders sent out a week before, and a day before, the meetup help?

3) On average, how many meetups do you attend per month?

4) On average, how many (if any) meetups do you RSVP Yes to, but find that you are not able to attend?

5) How many meetup groups have you joined?

Thank you for your time. This information will help immensely to make our group better and more fun!

Cheers,

Dave
terraform
user 7521070
Golden, CO
Post #: 22
1) How far in advance do you RSVP for meetups?
about 2 weeks, so I can plan out my monthly schedule

2) Do the reminders sent out a week before, and a day before, the meetup help?
50/50 - sometimes yes and sometimes its just extra email. But as I get better at using the functionality of my phone, the emails might just become extra, because my phone will remind me too.

3) On average, how many meetups do you attend per month?
At least 1 a week, but sometimes as many as 3 a week. This is not just the group meet-ups, but also events suggested by the groups, but I do try to hit every one of my groups' monthly meet-up, I mean, that's what they are there for , right?

4) On average, how many (if any) meetups do you RSVP Yes to, but find that you are not able to attend?
I've never missed a meet-up that I have RSVP'd 'yes' for, I tend to use the 'maybe' response very heavily.

5) How many meetup groups have you joined?
about 25, but that's not necessarily an accurate snapshot of my activity, because I have taken to joining the out-of-town versions, of my in-town groups. That way I have connections to things I like to do, when I travel.