Marty
user 13826045
Boulder, CO
Post #: 21
OK so I need to ask the masses, as being an unmarried male with no children, I have no clue about this or where to turn.

A Vegan friend is thinking of moving into Boulder community and is going through her first pregnancy (10 weeks). She loves her Ob Gyn and is worried about finding an Ob Gyn in Boulder that is sensitive and supportive to that fact and wont try to talk her out of it. I guess she has had a lot of that.

I stated I would ask around since I live here and see what I can come up with......well I am asking around. If anyone knows or can pass along some helpful information, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marty
Laura K
user 10862267
Boulder, CO
Post #: 33
Hi Marty! It's really good of you to look for resources for your friend.

I don't have kids, so having a vegan-friendly ob gyn hasn't been an issue for me. I hope your friend is able to find an ob gyn who is informed about vegan nutrition and is able to give her vegan-friendly counseling. There are a few nutrition issues to watch out for, but they're easily prevented with vegan supplements.

It is true that a real-food vegan diet is superior in almost every way, but, in particular, the cognitive effects of inadequate B12 are really scary: memory loss, loss of focus and concentration...basically similar to mild Alzheimer's. Those of us who convert to veganism from a standard omnivorous diet can survive off our stored B12 for many years, but when we run out, we crash hard. If your friend has been vegan for a while, I worry that low B12 could potentially affect her developing baby. Even though we only need B12 in trace amounts, most informed vegan nutritionists now recommend supplementation for everyone, but especially pregnant women. I hope that your friend is receptive to the "better safe than sorry" approach and supplements with B12 from a vegan, microbial source. B12 is the critical one. It's also good to take algae-based omega 3 supplements to support brain health, instead of fish oil; and vegan vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol, plant source).

I have a really fantastic online resource on vegan nutrition that you can pass on to her: vegan RD Jack Norris of Vegan Outreach (which, if you don't know them, is the organization that hands out really effective vegan pamphlets at universities and concerts. http://www.veganoutre...­ ).

http://jacknorrisrd.c...­

Jack is a long-term vegan himself. He truly believes in spreading veganism, and in giving people knowledge to support their long-term health as vegans so that we, and our children, can be healthy vegans for life. If your friend is not already up on nutrition issues, Jack's website will help her be an informed consumer of nutrition counseling from her ob gyn.

Best of luck to your friend for finding the support she needs!

Laura

Travis N.
user 10980900
Boulder, CO
Post #: 2
Marty,

My stepfather is a vegan friendly OB-GYN in Boulder. He is not vegan himself, but he is a vegetarian and knows quite a bit about veganism and nutrition. He is also very highly regarded as a doctor. His webpage is:

http://www.journey2li...­

Please don't be turned off by his medical marijuana advocacy. He only writes marijuana prescriptions for legitimate medical reasons and believes it to be a safer alternative than many prescription painkillers.

Travis