The Boulder (and Beyond!) Vegan Meetup Group Message Board The Boulder Vegan Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Review: New DVD Movie: "Hungry For Change"

Review: New DVD Movie: "Hungry For Change"

Phil W.
PhilWBoulder
Boulder, CO
Post #: 7
Lisa brought the release of this new DVD movie to my attention. It was viewable online for free for two weeks. Now you can see the first 20 minutes for free ... http://www.HungryForC...­

I'd like to share my response with the whole group. Much of this is specific to her and my concern that movies like this not gratuitously justify the "need" for animal foods for "health" concerns.

"Hungry For Change" is VERY good, and the few minor problems with it wouldn't prevent me from recommending it -- but I will say what those problems are.

The editing was the best I've seen in a movie like this. It coherently threaded together important stories told by a dozen eloquent authorities. The first three-quarters of the movie is primarily about nutrition -- the essential nature of an unrefined plant-food diet and related health issues. The last quarter talked about psycho-physiological visiony stuff which was excellent.

Many among the dozen featured folks in this film have produced their own films. One that I have not seen which I'm now very excited to see is "Crazy Sexy Cancer" by Kris Carr.

Maybe most people wouldn't notice that the question of animal foods went virtually unmentioned -- with the following two exceptions (one bad and one good). This dearth didn't take away from what the movie DID cover -- so I think that was a good decision. The two very minor allusions to animal foods:

• Jamie Oliver had an extended cameo -- a piece of his public presentation at a "TED Talk" in Feb. 2010. He was dramatically presenting the problem with all the sugar added to milk drinks to entice children to drink their milk. He comes out with, "don't get me wrong -- I support milk". The film could have done without this, and a nod to this celebrity "food revolution" IMPOSTER who is in the position to know better (I mean, about his whole food gig). (Perhaps I'm being too critical considering that so many people are in a much worse food place; but he's certainly not one of OUR heroes).
  • The ONLY other mention of animal food was a "visual" of a roasted turkey coming out of the oven as part of a NEGATIVE reminiscence of Kris Carr (who was wonderful!).

Everything Dr. Joseph Mercola said was right on, and stated very well. He was the only one to use the actual "phytonutrient" or "phytochemical" word. (I was initially concerned about the possibility of his pro-meat recommendations appearing in the movie, but they didn't).

The subject of refined carbohydrates (sugar and flour products) being as much the cause of the obesity epidemic as are refined fats was covered VERY well. Sugar and bread become fat. (The editors did go to sleep on two of David Wolfe's regrettable recommendations: oil and refined coconut -- I just don't understand why they would do that).

Some other VERY minor flaws in the movie:

• Jon Gabriel, in discussing fructose, and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) said something incorrect about glycemic response. Fructose isn't metabolized in the "path" where glycemic response is relevant. It wreaks havoc, especially in the liver, in a very different way -- more like alcohol.
  • Chia seeds were part of the essential recommendations, but they are SO much more expensive than flax seeds (by a factor of ten) -- and flax seeds (not flax oil!) are at least marginally BETTER than chia (if you had to choose), in terms of their mix of lignans, and their omega-3 to omega-6 ratio. The movie actually flashed on a $22 price tag on what looked to be a cup of chia seeds -- quite Romney-esk, considering how great, and affordable, flax seeds are. [By the way, flax seeds should be kept whole and refrigerated, and ground right before use, e.g. with an inexpensive electric coffee grinder you have just for grinding seeds. However, it's not necessary to grind chia seeds].
  • The descriptions of cleansing mechanisms seemed a bit too precise (maybe not even quite true) considering the scope they were able to cover. Not a big deal.

All of these problems were just isolated statements within a wonderfully produced presentation. I really do recommend this film.

Phil