The Boulder (and Beyond!) Vegan Meetup Group Message Board The Boulder Vegan Meetup Group Discussion Forum › thank you caleb and all who came out last night!

thank you caleb and all who came out last night!

Lisa
user 2917105
Group Organizer
Boulder, CO
hi everyone,
our monthly potluck gatherings go so fast, they seem like a blur the next morning, and there isn't even drinking involved!;-)

we had almost 60 folks crowd into the clubhouse last night to listen to the wise and pioneering, caleb wheeldon of vegan outreach.  he talked to us about his incredible journey, and gave some valuable and insightful input on how to be examples of what we want others to embrace- a compassionate way of eating and living.

besides caleb's talk, the most memorable part of the evening for me was talking with a newcomer that was still eating animals  (her brother dragged her along- her words, not mine), and how she kept remarking over and over as she swept her hand over the food on the tables " i just had no idea you could eat like this and not use meat and milk. i had no idea food could taste so good with out it. i had no idea there were so many options" she said that sentiment four or five times, her sincere shock was palpable. while she also said she didn't want to do the "vegan thing" ( yet), she was willing to go one day a week and eat veggie. as caleb said last night "i'll take that". as caleb also emphasized last night- we need to meet people where they are at" and support their steps forward.  i will be the first to admit that i do want people to go fully vegan yesterday.  the constant awareness of what happens to our animal friends never leaves my mind, and i want it to stop NOW. patience is not my virtue when i see the planet dieing all around us. so i continue to try and  find that balance between "accepting folks where they are at and lauding their steps forward" and not being ok with rampant brutality that we can all stop right now and here on our dinner plates. And  with NO sacrifice, and massive benefits to the planet, people and animals.

i'm sorry we didn't get to do announcements last night.  the one announcement that i wanted the students of The Natural Cookery School to talk about was their special meal they are preparing for our community in May. It will be a special meal prepared by these vegan students from all over the country. They are graduating as  professional/certified Vegan Chefs that are going  out in the world to spread seeds of compassionate eating as their livelihood. What a great event to be part of!  We can send them off with a big congratulations on their graduating the program and enjoy their  gourmet meal  especially prepared for us. Sure to be a  memorable meal  for many reasons.http://www.meetup.com...­[/url] this will fill up, so rsvp early.

Lastly, it looks like we'll be adding our 600th member any day now!  With both a  Paleo  and Weston Price school opening up any time now,  and all the happy meat/milk "foodies" that have a strong hold in Boulder (and beyond!) partly because of the success of natural products companies that stem from this area (think Horizon Organics, Coleman Beef, Aurora Dairy, and I can on and on and on and on) and just the regular day to day horror at every eatery in the area (CAN"T WAIT FOR NATIVE FOODS TO OPEN!!), having these vegan meetups is sort of sanctuary for me  in Boulder .  I hope it serves that way, and much more, for all of you.

Peace and peas on all our plates,
Lisa

ps- if you did attend last night please take a moment to "rate" it and comment so we can forward to caleb as a thank you. thank you!!

"One of the greatest opportunities to live our values – or betray them – lies in the food we put on our plates.” – Jonathan Safran Foer