addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
hi everyone,

i hope this finds you all doing well and enjoying the warmer weather.

our community has grown quite a bit over the last few months- hopefully mimicking the cultural awakening of what we are doing to our animal friends, and the health care implications of eating them. we have had a lot of folks join our meetup that are either new to veganism, or not yet vegan, and have lots of questions and need practical and informational tips on making vegan choices. i hear from folks that the larger potlucks are not where they feel like they can bring up their questions, concerns ect. i think you can, but i understand where thats coming from. anywho, i thought we could hold much smaller gatherings where folks can come with their pointed questions many have while  starting on the vegan journey.

so i thought we would try a new outing and call it "Ask a Vegan".;-) the way i envision this is to have "experts" ( i don't care to use that word but can't think of one that conveys what i want- i don't consider myself an expert even though i have been vegan more then half my life),  and those that are newbies:/pre vegans come together  over a meal at Native Foods.

i thought we could start off by having an early dinner at Native Foods on Sunday June. I'll limit it to 6-8 people. If I hear from the newbies what they want to talk about I can reach out to the community who are experienced with your issues- ie. if you are parents and want to meet with other parents that have raised or are raising vegan kids, i can reach out to the parents that have gone through the vegan challenges (totally surmountable!) that parents and kids may have. If you are an athlete, I can reach out to those that are plant fueled athletes, ect. Make sense?

I would love to hear from those of you who would like to be the vegan "knowing one";-) and those that think they can benefit from something like this. I don't want to take the time to organize if it isn't needed. Some topics we could discuss are - quick and easy vegan meals for the family, health concerns and what vegans want to know in order to live a nutritionally optimal lifestyle( it's NOT hard!) , social situations and how to "work with" those that may not be so supportive/understanding of your new found vegan diet/lifestyle ect.(this seems to be the most common and challenging issue that comes up early in one's new vegan life and one that makes this meeetup so special.) We can all learn together in a sharing of what works and what obstacles inevitably come up when your world view changes.

I'll go ahead and schedule our first outing at Native Foods and see if folks are up for this, and it isn't just in my head that we might need to do this kinda thing.;)

Let me know if you would like to be a "vegan expert"  so I can have a rotating pool of folks to call on. Travis has graciously offered to be a nutrition knowing one (he is super smart in many areas!)  and is very learned in nutrition for athletes, and all of us.

So let me know what you think and if you have ideas, input or anything at all.

Peace and peas on all our plates,
Lisa

Lisa Shapiro

allthingsvegan.com
­

"One of the greatest opportunities to live our values – or betray them – lies in the food we put on our plates.” – Jonathan Safran Foer