The Boulder (and Beyond!) Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › The Boulder Vegan Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Vegan" Cheese" Ball or excellent vegan cheese recipe???
Does anyone have a great recipe for either a vegan cheese ball or excellent vegan cheese that I can count on when entertaining this holiday? I made a cashew cheese for Thanksgiving (from Color me Vegan) that I could not eat due to the strong nutritional yeast flavor. I have an aversion to the nutritional yeast since pregnant. Entertaining lots of omnivore for the holiday and would love a recipe I can count on! Thank you!!
hi laura, jessie osterberg has an AWESOME cheese ball recipe that she emailed out to the list but i can't find it anywhere. i will email her and ask to send again.
I use one:
First time I made w/ apple juice instead of sherry so the little ones could eat it. The last time I made it with sherry. It came out great both times.
Raw Vegan Cheeseball (Adapted from forkandbeans.com)
Soy, gluten, dairy-free
For Cashew Cheese:
• 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2-3 hours, drained
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice or juice of one lemon
• ½ cup water
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
For Basil Pesto:
• 2 cups fresh basil leaves (or a combination of basil/cilantro or basil/parsley) always use fresh herbs, not dried
• 4 garlic cloves
• 2/3 cup raw pine nuts or raw walnuts
• 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
• 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
• Pine nuts for garnish, optional
1. Line a glass bowl about the size of a cereal bowl with plastic wrap. High sides work best.
2. In a high-speed blender, blend all of the cashew cheese ingredients until smooth. Place half of the mixture into lined bowl. Place in freezer.
3. If using high-speed blender to make pesto, scrape remaining half of cashew cheese mixture into a separate bowl and set aside. Clean blender.
4. Process all ingredients for pesto in high-speed blender or food processor.
5. Remove bowl from freezer and add pesto layer on top. Top with sun-dried tomatoes. Layer with remaining cashew cheese mixture.
6. Freeze for 2-3 hours until set. Can be frozen longer. Place in refrigerator two hours before serving.
7. When ready to serve, turn bowl over onto serving plate and carefully remove plastic wrap. Garnish with pine nuts and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
Certified Holistic Health Counselor