user 8161576
Boulder, CO
Hello everyone,
Recently, I became aware of an event called, "Hoofin It," which takes place in Denver August 17-20th. Every night, a different hoofed animal will be "featured" at different restaurants for customers to eat. As appalling as this event is in itself, I was more disturbed by one of it's major sponsors: The Humane Society of the United States.

This event has nothing to do with anything humane, and HSUS should be made aware of this fact. In supporting "Hoofin It," HSUS is joining the "happy meat" bandwagon and promoting the murder of countless sentient feeling beings in the name of "grass fed," "small farmer," and  "humane slaughter" promoters.

If you feel as I do, please take a minute to write a comment to HSUS about this. Below is what I wrote. Feel free to copy and paste it into an e-mail to HSUS, or make your own! It's extremely important that HSUS knows we do not agree with their choice of event to sponsor. Please take five minutes and write an e-mail to HSUS in response to their sponsorship of Hoofin It.

Send polite e-mail messages to Jacquelyn Pyun, the Colorado State director of HSUS (jpyun@humanesociety.org) and Sarah Barnett, an HSUS PR person (sbarnett@humanesociety.org).

I would like to inform the Humane Society that I am deeply disturbed by your sponsorship of the Denver "Hoofin It" event. This event showcases dead animals whose bodies are given to people to eat, and I suppose is sponsored by HSUS because they are non-factory farmed animals.

That is unacceptable.

I was a strong supporter of HSUS, donating yearly, subscribing to newsletters, signing petitions, etc. Not anymore.

Promoting the consumption of animal products is hypocritical for a "humane" institution, and it proves to me that HSUS is no longer interested in helping animals, but only in helping their business. I'm sad to see that HSUS is now no better than the Cattleman's Association and other animal-killing organizations, promoting the consumption of animals just because they weren't raised on a factory farm. Does that mean they all of a sudden loose feeling, emotion, memory, and sentience? No.

The "Hoofin It" event is a disgusting promotion of "happy meat." Due to the HSUS's sponsorship of this event, I will no longer be a Humane Society supporter in ANY capacity, and I will encourage my friends to end their connections with the Humane Society as well.

We need a voice for the animals, not a plate."