addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

San Diego Men and Women Cooking & Dining Meetup Message Board › Cooking Group - Looking for Organizers/Cooks/Hosting Events

Cooking Group - Looking for Organizers/Cooks/Hosting Events

Robin H
user 3561097
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA

Hellow Fellow Cooks:

I would love to make this group more active by getting you all involved in organizing events and providing ideas. If you are willing to try hosting a cooking or pot luck at your place, showing others how to prepare recipes (ethnic themes are always great), or suggesting a food-related event at a public place (restaurant, happy hour, picnic, etc) please e-mail or post message. Just posting some information on our webpage (e.g., recipes, new restaurant that you discovered) would be great as well.

Looking forward to some fun events with the group!

Robin

Sue H.
sue_sd
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
Hey Robin! I'd love to help with hosting an event, but my condo is a bit small for anything more than a half dozen or so.

I'm a vegetarian, so am always interested in veggie meals. I'm also on an Indian kick (the Indian food down here just doesn't compare to the Bay Area's!) and have been teaching myself some random dishes. I do love to cook.

As far as a suggestion for an activity... I live in Hillcrest, a hugely walkable neighborhood. It might be fun to go on an "ethnic safari" and sample various courses at various restaurants (Afghan, Thai, Spanish, Indian, and so on). Or pick one country or area and sample just those restaurants. We could possibly plan a full seven course meal that way, with dessert ending at my new fave local cafe (Nunzi's Cafe) or at Chocolat. :)

Work has been crazy busy and I'm about to go on a week's vacation, but I'd love to participate in something later this month.

...sue
Robin H
user 3561097
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 13
Sue,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Perhaps we could have a cooking event at someone else's home and you could show us how to prepare some Indian/vegetarian dishes? Or we could do a vegetarian potluck if others are interested.

Could anyone host this at their home?

I like the "food hop" idea in Hillcrest, but logistics might be challenging if need to make reservations and cannot easily predict the timing. Perhaps a weekend afternoon would work when restaurants are not as busy and do not need reservations?

A former member
Post #: 123
Robin,
Maybe we can poll people to see who wants to attend what areas?
If someone has a great idea for a cooking together, potluck, or some other idea I have a large perfect clubhouse in Esco, ready to go with everything for a cooking meetup, full kitchen, tables, chairs, etc.
The caveat; there is only one stove, oven, and microwave.
If I plan it in advance I can either use the room with no fee, although it's still open for resident's too, with a few signs they would respect our group.
Normally it is not used all that much. Also I can privately reserve for $35, so just a few dollars per each person.
It's very large and would accommodate up to 30 people easily. It's available and we would need to clean up and be done around 9:00 P.M.
I can be contacted if anyone wants to coordinate a cooking meetup here.
Meryl

Viv
user 50032782
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Robin,
Is this about cooking and dining together?

What about assigning a group to present to cook a particular recipe from a book and another set of groups to help cook the same to bring for potluck? Then others can watch the demo and bring any food also.

The demo can be done in open area with tables like a park or beach since its hard to find a house that will host 40+ members. But everyone must participate by bringing a table, stove or portable oven, cooking utensils, sliced/cut vegetables/meat needed for the recipe to be demonstrated, etc. for the demo.

BTW, a meetup that will decide what recipe , whose cooking, whose bringing what, and where should be made in advanced.

Our members can make suggestions to make this format simpler.

I just thought, An event can be in a house also, but must limit the number of guess. Total Number of allowable participants can be set up on this site's invitation I think.