The San Diego Solar Cooking Club Message Board › Jumbo All Season Cooker Thoughts

Jumbo All Season Cooker Thoughts

Chris (Black D.
user 3941288
San Diego, CA
Post #: 292
I have the All Season Jumbo sized version from a recent class. The first time I used it, I made a huge pot of chili with excellent success. Does not cook faster than the smaller size, but can cook MORE. The second time I got the cooker out, it was apparent that it's coming apart at the seams. Still cooked a pot of beans okay, but I'm going to wrap the bottom with duct tape to try to hold it together. Part of the problem is that because of it's size, I have to sorta mash it through doors when I move it outside. Perhaps if I dedicate a spot in the garage for storage I can move it more gently. I wanted this cooker for those times where I might want to make a large dish to feed a crowd. For that purpose it's perfect.
Jim La J.
user 4819687
Bonsall, CA
Post #: 75
The ASSC is cut from a single sheet and all the hinges and folds are integral.
The Jumbo must be cut in parts and taped together.
The tape that we used was Gorilla brand duct tape which has an excellent adhesive. When the tape is applied to a clean surface, rolled down, and left to cure for a full day, it forms an excellent bond.
None of the taped hinges are critical. They may be loose because other parts of the cooker hold them in place. The important hinges are those in the upper and lower reflector panels. These hinges are integral because a certain degree of stiffness is required in order to hold the shape.
If your tape is coming off, I recommend that you remove the tape, clean the surface with acetone or denatured alcohol to remove any old adhesive (rag dampened works fine, don't soak it). After the surface is completely dry, apply a good quality duct tape such as Gorilla or Shuretape or Nashua.
Smooth the tape, roll it down firmly with a rolling pin. Then let it rest for a full day.
If these joints are stressed, the tape may still pull loose. In that case, apply the tape to the outside of the joint when the cooker is assembled. If you use this method there will be no stress on the tape when to cooker is assembled.
Glad to hear your chili worked out. Great observation on MORE vs FASTER. Thanks for sharing your experience.