The San Diego Solar Cooking Club Message Board › how to cook hotdogs

how to cook hotdogs

mark
user 8829847
San Diego, CA
Post #: 19
you can put a hotdog inside of a glass Butter Dish.
the top and bottom fit well together to keep the heat in.

http://www.youtube.co...­

http://www.crateandba...­
Jim La J.
user 4819687
Bonsall, CA
Post #: 80
Ok. Love the video. This is a perfect example of how cooking with a poorly designed cooker is unsafe. Lucky for these folks hotdogs are safe to eat right out of the package - they come fully cooked. It was fun to see the condensation. It was fun to see the hot dog turn brown. But it was very telling to see the meat thermometer only reach a very unsafe (for raw meat) 135 º. And that after 90 minutes on a sunny day.
Now the butter dish idea is definitely a good one. Just put it in a better design cooker.
mark
user 8829847
San Diego, CA
Post #: 20
good point, I have heard, if you use raw meat, you should preheat the pot to cooking temperature.
then put the food in.

the new research shows that you don't have to use as high a temperature to kill bacteria if you cook it long enough. just cut it up into small pieces so that it heats up quickly.

http://science.howstu...­

Types of Thermal Processing

•Thermization: 134.6 to 154.4 degrees Fahrenheit (57 to 68 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes
•Batch pasteurization, low temperature, long time (LTLT): 145.4 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius) for 30 minutes
•Pasteurization, high temperature, short time (HTST): 161.6 to 165.2 degrees Fahrenheit (72 to 74 degrees Celsius) for 15 to 30 seconds
•Ultra-high temperature (UHT) treatment: 275 to 284 degrees Fahrenheit (135 to 140 degrees Celsius) for 3 to 5 seconds
•In-container sterilization: 239 to 248 degrees Fahrenheit (115 to 120 degrees Celsius) for 10 to 20 minutes
Amirah
Amirah
Hemet, CA
Post #: 1,388
Thanks, Mark, I needed that information.

I use a box cooker with a baking stone and without reflectors. I am used to slow cooking with it and love the taste of the food. On border line temps I cook an extra hour or two longer and did not experience and off smell or flavor. Hemet is usually sunny, but on a rare cloudy day I have successfully cooked raw chicken and brown rice.

My rule has been if the oven is only reaching150 F, then I bring food up to boil before putting into solar box. I know this more heat-retention cooking than solar cooking, but the food flavor is better than just stove top or oven cooking. And I am am using less cooking fuel.

Yesterday, I checked the temperature inside an empty canning jar inside the solar oven that was at 150 F. The temperature inside the jar was at least 210 F.

I have gathered my supplies and just need to going on building rocket stoves. My goal is to bring food up to boil on the rocket stove then transfer to solar oven. Totally off-grid.