The San Diego Solar Cooking Club Message Board › Small issue with design

Small issue with design

A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks for the try to get this thing on the forum.

I have a little issue I just discovered, my photo cell only puts out 10.5 V, which runs my sun tracker and the motor, so no problem. Then I decided to put a 15 minute delay circuit in so the motor only gets turned on to move the oven with the sun 4 times an hour. My thinking is that the GSO has such a broad scope of sun gathering angle that I could not measure any drop in temp with having a change in positions in 15 minutes. Though I can set the delay for about any amount of time, just thought 15 min was good enough.

Then the solar panel will only be operating the motor for some 10 seconds 4 times an hour. This means the power can be used to charge small AA, AAA, C, D, or 9v rechargeable batteries. When I camp I always have something using small batteries (like LED head band and such). But sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men are equal!!! My time delay does not like working with 10.5 volts. confused

So, today I am going to look at it and if that is the case, will disable the delay and operate it as before and then look for solar panels that put the full 12V or a little more. Will let you know what happens.
Sherry
sclausson
San Diego, CA
Post #: 93
Here is a solar tracker I got some of the parts for but never got done.
http://makeprojects.c...­
Here the shadow of the sun stops it and when the sun moves enough it turns.
A former member
Post #: 7
That is a neat design. I used a ball bearing turntable under my platform, never thought of a direct drive, so I can only get 270 degree movement instead of a complete 360 degree (course that much is not needed for solar cooking), but is a simpler drive system. Thanks for sharing.
A former member
Post #: 8
There has been a request to know more on the motor and sun tracker used. When I get the thing working completely with the delay circuit, I will list all the components. Should be a few days as I am waiting for a part.
Jim La J.
user 4819687
Bonsall, CA
Post #: 85
This inventing stuff is fun! Good luck with your tracker
A former member
Post #: 10
I got the original sun tracking (GSO oven) platform working, with the optional delay. Now have a second tracking platform which is as simple as it gets and much smaller. Will bring both to the gathering next month and maybe someone can get a picture of them on this forum. I don' t seem to be able to do it.

It was your original posting of you clever clock/weight tracking platform that made me start thinking on this.