Come join us for a delicious New Orleans Creole Gumbo cooking class~!
Of all the dishes in the realm of Louisiana cooking, gumbo is the most famous, and very likely, the most popular. Gumbo crosses all class barriers, appearing on tables of the poor as well as the wealthy. Although ingredients might vary greatly from one cook to the next, and from one part of the state to another, a steaming bowl of fragrant gumbo is one of life's cherished pleasures, as emblematic of Louisiana as chili is of Texas.
Fellow member Bonnie, has generously offered to teach us her amazing recipe in a hands-on class and meal in her home~~with an amazing bonus of bread pudding with whiskey sauce and a refreshing LA cocktail...."crocodile tears" :-).
A bit about Bonnie:
Bonnie grew up in New Orleans to an Italian family where her family's farm-to-table cooking was the standard. She loved that food made people happy, so she embarked on a mission to learn more about food and cooking. Bonnie worked in various restaurants around New Orleans as a prep cook and in front of the house. She had a catering business in Southern California, and eventually moved to beautiful Oregon where she had a small 13 table New Orleans-style restaurant in Bend. Bonnie recently relocated to Portland and is thrilled to have the opportunity to share her love of authentic New Orleans cooking with people who know good food!
So.....here's how we will roll:
1. Arrive PROMPTLY at 5 p.m. Bonnie will walk us through the steps to making a FABULOUS gumbo which we will have for dinner. Bonnie will be serving a decadent bread pudding with whiskey sauce for dessert. Recipes will be given out for all~~! This is a hands-on class~!
2. Bonnie will be serving a LA-inspired cocktail "Crocodile Tears".....though the only thing that will make you cry about this cocktail is when your glass is empty :-> Bonnie will also have something "soft" available to drink.
3. This is a BYOB for wine and beer to keep costs down. If you would like to enjoy beer and wine with your meal or during class, please bring what you would like with the intent to share.
4. Bonnie's place is in Cedar Mills. About a 7 minute drive out highway 26 (westbound).
5. Please no food allergies or restrictions. This is small class so hard to accommodate. Thank you for understanding :-).
I am very excited that Bonnie has joined our group and I hope that you can join us for a very fun filled and delicious evening!
Adyeu for now~~~