Announcing a new Meetup for Portland Cooking And Recipes Meetup Group!What
: 2nd Annual Ruth Reichl Birthday Celebration and White Elephant Gift Exchange~!When
: Sunday, January 16,[masked]:30 PMPrice
: $14.00 per personWhere
: Jakki and Tom's Home in SW PDX
Portland, OR 97225
It's January and the month of Ruth Reichl's birthday so let's celebrate!!
For those of you who may not know the face behind former Gourmet Magazine (R.I.P., sniff, sniff, big tear drop....), Ruth is an American food writer, co-producer of PBS's Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie, culinary editor for the Modern Library, host of PBS's Gourmet's Adventures with Ruth, and the last editor-in-chief of the now shuttered Gourmet magazine. She has written three critically acclaimed best selling books of memoirs and her most recent book, Gourmet Today, is a 1008 page cookbook containing over 1,000 recipes. She is also the recipient of four James Beard Award as well as numerous other awards for journalism and leadership in her industry.......whew....makes me tired just typing this.....
I love the Ruth's description of what it means to be a gourmet......we love to meet around food, sit around a table and have time to chat with friends and family.....it's not just eating, it's enjoying food and taking time to savor a meal with those who are special to us....and cooking that meal is an expression of love!
So, let's get together and raise a glass (and a fork!) to lovely Ruth Reichl.....AND we'll also have some fun with a little "present exchange" in her honor!
Here's "the skinny":
1. Bring a dish (serving size 6-10) with a recipe from one of Gourmet's cookbooks or magazine (you can look up recipes on line if you don't have the cookbooks) OR a recipe from one of Ruth's memoirs. You MUST post what you are bringing under the comments section for all to say AFTER you respond YES....(you will have 5 days after RSVP'ing to do so). Failure to do so may result in my changing your rsvp from yes to no.....Sorry to be so "harsh"
, but this really helps our group bring a balanced selection.
2. Please bring your dish "ready to go"....with maybe a little last minute finishing if necessary....I just have one oven and it will probably be in use......
3. Bring a wrapped GENTLY used or new kitchen tool, appliance, gadget....some little lost soul that is sitting around in a drawer of bottom shelf of your cabinet that needs a new home...Value can be $1.00 to $75...does not matter as long as the item is in usable shape! We will be doing a "Yankee Swap" after dinner....so YES, "stealing" is allowed.....and even encouraged
4. If you RSVP for 2...please be sure to bring 2 dishes and 2 gifts.
5. Party starts at 6:30 and will go to about 9:00 ...plenty of time to get home on a "school night". Location will be sent out the week of the event.
6. Fee is $14.00 per person and includes wine, beer, soft drinks and supplies.....PLUS an amazing potluck dinner and party..how cool is that??
That's it!! I hope you can join us in our home for what is sure to be a fabulous evening of GOURMET food and fun!!
Jakki and Tom
RSVP to this Meetup:http://www.meetup.com/cookingandrecipes-portland/calendar/15627462/