add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Corgi's R Us Message Board › Arthritis problem?

Arthritis problem?

Julia Miller, Juli...
Puyallup, WA
Post #: 10
Our 11 year old Bridget appears to have a small chunk of arthritis that broke off from her right shoulder and is making it hard for her to walk. The surgeon was not sure she would benefit much from surgery, so she's on pain meds for now.

Have any of you experienced this? What did you do?
Audrey B.
Redmond, WA
Post #: 2
My Emma was just diagnosed with IVDD ...spinal disk deterioration problem....and she is just turning FOUR years old. We both are very upset....right now she is getting pain aid from acupuncture and meds. She is not supposed to exercise at all....very tough on us both. We are hoping for improvement....if anyone has any knowledge or help for this, please let me know! Life is strange without constant corgi activity! Audrey
Bobbie M.
Clinton, WA
Post #: 10
Hi, Audrey, IVDD at that age can be a one time issue or can continue to get worse. Slow walking is probably okay, just on leash, nothing strenuous, and limit it. Often the rest and meds will take care of the problem, but not always. . If she gets worse it is an emergency as surgery stands a better chance of working if done before the corgi is completely paralyzed in the back legs. If she does improve without surgery, try to limit the kind of play that involves jumping and twisting and try to prevent her jumping off of things, but usually, if a disk is going to go it goes and not because of what you did or did not do. If she does blow a disk and becomes paralyzed, you can do surgery and most dogs that have had slow onset like she has will recover, but if you can't afford that a cart is an option- corgis do great with them and can live long, healthy lives. Slow onset is a good sign in disk disease (as opposed to sudden, complete disk rupture which offers the least chance of recovery with or without surgery.)
Audrey B.
Redmond, WA
Post #: 3
Thanks for this encouraging reply, Bobbie. I'ill reread it occasionally when I need to. My living room looks like a battle ground with all the barriers I have put up to keep Emma off the furniture! And she has to spend more time in her pen now, when I leave the house (which is NOT OFTEN!), so she won't jump against everything to 'yell' greetings to all her passing dog friends. She has always slept happily in her pen at night, right next to my bed, and thankfully she STILL DOES THAT, even though she is NOT HAPPY when I put her in their before I leave. We both have adjustments to make. I am glad that I have good pet insurance on pays for the continuing acupuncture treatments and meds, which seem to be really reducing her pain a lot. Again, THNKS!