1630 East Cheyenne Mountain Boulevard, Colorado Springs, CO
Some of us are old enough to remember dinosaurs, but most of us have never seen dinosaur tracks. This tour is an excellent opportunity to see such tracks along with rock art and historical sites in a unique part of Colorado without having to hike for miles. We will be traveling on roads that are only accessible to Forest Service vehicles, and the longest hike is 1/4 of a mile.
We will meet at the Target off I-25 and Circle/Lake to carpool. We will leave at 6 a.m. sharp to drive to the Forest Service office in La Junta, where we will depart for the tour at 8 a.m. If you choose to drive yourself or stay the night before in La Junta, make sure you meet us at the Forest Service office by 8. The address is 1420 East Third Street,
La Junta, CO 81050
The tour lasts until 4 p.m. You should bring your lunch, snacks and plenty of water as well as appropriate clothing for any weather conditions. I will bring a cooler to store items for people that need to be kept cool. I would suggest that others do the same so we can accommodate everyone.
The tour makes 5 stops at various locations, and there will be plenty of time at each location for photography.
Four-wheel-drive vehicles are needed for this tour. If you have a 4WD vehicle and would like to volunteer to drive, please state so in the comments section.
Children are allowed on the tour, but pets are not unless they are service animals. If you are bringing family members or other guests, please add them to your RSVP.
The Forest Service refund policy is as follows: If you need to cancel, refunds (minus permit fees) will be given up to 2 weeks prior to the tour. Refunds will not be given for cancelations within 2 weeks of the tour.
RSVPing on Meetup does not secure your reservation for the tour, but you will need to RSVP on Meetup as well as through the US Forest Service. All spots must be paid for in advance and are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please follow these instructions for making your reservations:
1. Click this link and read all of the information: http://www.recreation.gov/tourParkDetail.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74974
2. Click the "Book Now" button in the middle of the page.
3. Click the button that says "Enter Date" and October 13 in the Tour Date field.
4. Enter the number of tickets you want to purchase.
5. Click the button that says "Choose Time" and pick 8 a.m. from the drop-down menu that says "Select Time." You will also be able to see how many tickets are available.
6. Enter the number of adult/child tickets in the appropriate fields.
7. Click the "Book Tour" button.
8. If you have problems making a reservation or would prefer to do so over the phone, call[masked] and mention you want to sign up for the Picket Wire tour on Oct. 13th.
9. If you have specific questions about the tour, read the information on the web page listed above, or call the La Junta FS office at[masked]-4356.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.
I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.
— Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders