Adobe Creative Cloud User Group - San Jose Message Board Creative Suite User Group - San Jose Discussion Forum › Abandoning of perpetual licenses for CS products

Abandoning of perpetual licenses for CS products

Dan H.
user 12908654
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
(My reply to Sally's email announcement late last night upon returning from AdobeMax)

Sally,

I know it’s hard not to “drink the Kool-aid” when you’re at a conference like AdobeMax, but I hope you take a moment to understand the extreme negative reaction Adobe’s announcement about dropping Perpetual License has caused. Literally tens of thousands of posts across the spectrum of forums (Adobe, dpreview, etc.). This negative backlash is from folks who actually do understand the new model and just plain think it’s a disaster. In most cases it results in double or triple the average annual cost over periodic upgrading. A vast majority of people commenting are refusing to buy into CC and will just milk whatever CS6 products they already have until another company fills the void – and several such companies are already starting to market to the hundreds of thousands of previously happy Adobe customers who are abandoning Adobe in droves.

I, for one just got an upgrade to Photoshop CS6. I was actually quite happy with CS5 and was waiting for CS7 to consider an upgrade, but as there will be no CS7 I decided to spring for CS6 as the last Photoshop product I’ll ever buy. It seems that Lightroom 5 will still come out with a perpetual license and I’ll upgrade to that as well and if Adobe does the same thing to that product it too will be my last version of Adobe’s offering in the Digital Asset Management class of products.

I don’t know what your official association is with Adobe (if any) but you may want to re-think the name change of your group to CC as that is quickly becoming a negative term in the field of photographers. Remember “New Coke”, and the “NetFlix” debacle. This decision by Adobe seems to be headed that way and you may not want to tie your coattails to a name with such negative emotion surrounding it.

Dan

Hal G.
user 59000072
San Jose, CA
Post #: 1
Creative cloud is NOT cost effective to me as a photographer. I am also concerned about unavoidable future price increases and strong potential lack of future innovation now that the revenue stream is locked in.
Dan H.
user 12908654
San Jose, CA
Post #: 3
I presume that Sally is getting a fairly large amount of input from members of the now named "Adobe Creative Suite Users Group - San Jose" (ACSUG-SJ), some of which I assume is on the positive as well as the negative side of this discussion.

As the leader of a "USER GROUP" I trust that Sally or other leaders of this group are fulfilling their implied obligation to the group members to accuratly represent the groups views to Adobe. After all, that is what a USER GROUP is, an organization representing users of a commercial product or products to the company. As such, each user group has an obligation to interact with the company on behalf of the members of the group.

I trust that the leaders of ACSUG-SJ are doing that based on input being provided to them by their members and are not just acting as a promotional vehicle for Adobe under the guise of being an independent association representing the needs of its members.

I think it wouold be helpful to the members of ACSUG-SJ to be informed of how ACSUG-SJ is communicating to Adobe on behalf of its members and what they are representing our group opinion to be.

Thanks -- Dan

A former member
Post #: 18
According to one Adobe employee I spoke with a couple days ago, it's not just consumers who are upset about this. There is a large faction of Adobe employees who are equally upset. They feel Adobe is abandoning the small, individual users -- the independent artists and photographers who create on a budget -- and catering exclusively to the wealthy amateurs, high-end "Bambi Cantrells" of the world, and deep-pocketed corporate accounts. It's quite sad and abjectly disappointing.
Roger
rlkelley
Davis, CA
Post #: 9
I'll echo this sentiment. I had really picked Adobe as the far seeing, most deeply committed advocate and doer of advanced creative software, and had been gratified at the broad availability of Adobe to all segments of the creative population, including the little guy of which "I are one" (sic). I hope Adobe regains its former orientation.