addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Florida Atheists, Critical Thinkers & Skeptics. Message Board › I don't post in discussions often . ..

I don't post in discussions often . ..

D.F.
user 12537356
Orlando, FL
Post #: 25
My friend the artist Greg Correll posted this earlier this a.m. in a discussion of the Pope's pronouncement that Atheists go to heaven as well. Not a place I want to go but beside the point for forwarding Greg's comment. Greg has tremendous brainpower and vision which he is fast losing to a vicious and debilitating form of Parkinson's that will wipe out his communication skills before it kills him. He is an atheist. Anyway this is wht he wrote:

Atheists generally act as if this is the one shot we have so we must do our best, be our best. As a demographic, atheists are the smallest percentage in prisons. He he. He [the new Pope] is not recognizing we are all children of one god as much as he is changing the theology: the path to redemption is not Protestant (thru Jesus only). He says tikkun olam, healing the world or our part of it, redeems us. Yes. it does. Besides, redemption is a term of finesse. It means we become whole, redeem ourselves of error and sin (Hebrew: sin - "missing the mark"), in THIS life, by doing good, being constructive and productive. Something (almost) every teenager starts to understand as part of human growth, believer or not. Catholics have always fudged this "I am the Way" one-dimensional theology, operationally, unlike the fundies. See The Trivium, the mainstay of Catholic education for over 900 years; it preaches logic, rhetoric and math.
A former member
Post #: 12
Pope never said a single thing about Atheists going to heaven too. He isn't changing anything. He's just saying that we can be good people too.