Florida Atheists, Critical Thinkers & Skeptics. Message Board › New to Florida - Advice?

New to Florida - Advice?

Dareth M.
Davenport, FL
Post #: 2
Hello All,

I am moving from the Albany NY area to St. Cloud in a couple of months - my fiance landed a job with Disney and we are relocating for that. I am very nervous about looking for a job in FL - I have been open but not very vocal about the fact I am an atheist on Facebook and in my personal life. This area is a very non-religious region and nobody around here really seems to care much.

But when I move, I am wondering - will it be hard for me to find a job in Florida if I don't hide this fact about myself? I have friends even here who have lost jobs because they are atheists. Any advice you could give would be very helpful.

If it helps, I'd be looking for a professional position - I have my bachelor degree in biology and have been working at a local college, in an office dedicated to prior learning assessment. I would be happy to find a job in either field - I am hoping for a place of employment where I can feel like I am part of a community.

I can't wait to meet you all!

Richard F.
user 64484242
Orlando, FL
Post #: 10
Darath, you are certainly "out" there, and it's there to stay, I suspect.

I have been an atheist for my entire professional life and I have neither featured it or tried to keep it hidden. I recently read where it is becoming standard practice to Google prospective employees. They should be more concerned about NOT finding anything about a person after such a search.

I have never had religious preferences come up in an interview situation. And, of course, such questions are illegal. (I do remember though, on an interview when my wife and I were on an informal tour of Birmingham, the host asked, as she was remarking on a particular church we were passing, "What church do YOU go to?" My wife replied, "We are really not big church goers.")

Jobs are difficult to find now, but I don't think your Google presence will disqualify you.

But, for better or worse,
"The moving finger having writ, moves on;
Nor all thy piety and wit, can move it back to cancel half a line;
Nor all thy tears, wash out a word of it." -The Rubaiyat of Omar Kayam

Good luck in finding something that interests you If you cannot immediately find a paying job, try volunteering in an area you feel you can contribute. Such activity might lead to actual employment.
Richard F.
user 64484242
Orlando, FL
Post #: 11
Should have added this tip on volunteering, should you decide to try it - failing all other attempts at finding a paying job. Libraries always seem to be relying on volunteer staff. Interesting "work" that can make a difference, while also looking good on your resume or FaceBook page.