The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Best Bike Shop/Fixed-Gear

Best Bike Shop/Fixed-Gear

Joel
user 6061608
Miami, FL
Post #: 1
I'm a new rider in Miami who has done some rides with enthusiast friends in Tampa... I had a friend who was helping me convert my road into a fixed-gear, but we only got so far until I had to come back to Miami. How prevalent are fixed-gears and where is the best bike shop to get a fixie wheel set?
See you Saturday
Joel
Pixie
user 5955948
Miami, FL
Post #: 2
I've been wondering this myself. I'm new too and just need a bike but i want to go somewhere with something other than cruisers.
A former member
Post #: 14
fellow fixies!!!! finally!
you should answer the "Calling All Fixie" topic.

there is NOTHING as far as fixed gear culture in this town, hardly.
Business Cycles, 9620 S.W. 77th Avenue, Miami, Florida 33156 Tel. 305-273-4440
is basically the only shop with some knowledge and goods, but the dude there is a bit weird, not much of a talker, he's strictly "business" OH!

have you been Brian Piccolo Velodrome yet?
it's in Broward, but it's pretty cool.
i'm trying to get a special event for fixed gear street riders only soon.
stay tuned.

on getting your steeds completed, if you have most parts just let me know what you need to complete them, if you're starting from scratch the best way is to buy complete, since these days there's more and more demand for such beauties, thus good fixed bikes/frames are hard to come along. Bikesdirect.com sells a Windsor Track bike for $300, the cheapest I've found new. then there are the IRO bikes, awesome messenger-inspired from NYC. they run about $500 complete.

perhaps we can meet at this Saturday's Mass Ride.

L8r!

Will
Ford F.
user 5349565
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post #: 4
I ride fixed daily in Fort Laurderdale, and I raced one season at the velodrome 2 years ago =)

I had lots of fun but school & work takes up all of my time so I had to drop the racing.

I plan to go back in a year when I'm done with school..

My street bike is a Mercier Kilo TT with Dura ace hubs laced to Velocity rims =)
A former member
Post #: 28
Nice classic looking steed. great price too.
Looks like a sharp sprinter.
Enjoy it.
Jeff
user 5222598
Miami, FL
I am going to build up an old Basso frame to fixed gear. I am going mostly the ebay route.
Ford F.
user 5349565
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post #: 18
I am going to build up an old Basso frame to fixed gear. I am going mostly the ebay route.

great ! have any pics ?
A former member
Post #: 29
hey, anyone going to St. Pete's Fixed Fight2 in April?
www.flfixed.com
Gio
user 6369888
Miami, FL
I'm a new rider in Miami who has done some rides with enthusiast friends in Tampa... I had a friend who was helping me convert my road into a fixed-gear, but we only got so far until I had to come back to Miami. How prevalent are fixed-gears and where is the best bike shop to get a fixie wheel set?
See you Saturday
Joel

BikesToGo is the only bike shop i've ever seen with fixed gear/ track stuff. Its located 6600 sw 80 st. He dosnt have much in stock, but he'll order anything for you. If its to far south for you just take the rail its seriously located Under the metrorail track. Its a family owned business and there real nice too. Just google them and give them a call. Ask for burger and ask him what you want. If you're looking for parts i'd call in advance. He also has a friend who powercoats frames.
Jeff
user 5222598
Miami, FL
Post #: 2

great ! have any pics ?