The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Cyclist Killed On Rickenbacker Causeway

Cyclist Killed On Rickenbacker Causeway

rydelhigh
user 4369323
Miami, FL
Post #: 168
taken from Miami Bike Scene

A male cyclist was killed shortly after 8am this morning by the driver of a silver Volkswagen on the Bear Cut Bridge. The bicyclist was riding in the bike lane heading into Key Biscayne when a motorist fatally struck him and kept on going, witnesses at La Carreta heard a loud sound and spotted a speeding vehicle dragging a blue Cannondale road bicycle while blowing through a red light about 2.5 miles from where the cyclist was struck. (see map below)

The driver, Carlos Bertonatti, was apprehended by police near his residence in Key Biscayne. A group of cyclists went to where the police were and saw him detained in the back of the squad car. Some witnesses at the scene are saying the driver appeared drunk and based on the fatal injuries to the cyclist and heavy damage to the motorist's vehicle it's apparent he was exceeding the speed limit.

Below is a photo of cyclists trying to help the victim, a photo of the damaged vehicle, and one of the wrecked bicycle after it was dislodged from underneath the vehicle.

Photos by Andre Quirino

An ambulance took approximately 22 minutes to arrive from when the initial 911 call was made at 8:04am. Police explained to the witnesses that Village of Key Biscayne Fire Rescue had no jurisdiction on the causeway. They were deciding whether City of Miami or Miami-Dade would come while the cyclist laid there dying.

Key Biscayne is the most popular cycling route in Miami, cyclists are supposed to feel safe in this area yet tragedies like this occur. This is very unfortunate and sad. The problem concerning motorists driving while intoxicated, texting, talking on the phone and speeding needs to be better addressed in South Florida. My condolences to the family and friends of the cyclist. All this makes me very upset.
Muffdoc
user 8666313
Miami, FL
Post #: 25
Just not right, that this happened in the first place. Insult is public officers debating who to call to help. It's an insult since the cyclist was air-lifted in the end, but to lose 22 minutes, sad. Now, I'm unaware how long it takes to request a "air-lift", and get it, but I doubt it would take 22min, to get to Jackson from the Key.

This is not the time to question the county or other services, but one to pause a minute and mourn. My condolences to the cyclist's love ones. My Hope is to raise awarenes from both motorist, and cyclist alike.
TONY
user 3166825
Miami, FL
Post #: 21
Damn!!!! What the hell, another one???!!!! What's the deal with these drivers?
Vi
luv2rideMiami
Miami, FL
Post #: 9
Damn!!!! What the hell, another one???!!!! What's the deal with these drivers?
[[It's not the driver, it's the system that allowed him to continue driving. The guy has a long record of traffic offenses and no license. He should have been locked up long ago. He supposedly is a singer. No doubt, if he has any talent other than running people over, he'll get a record deal out of this and the general public, who seem to be a bunch of sheep, will sway to his tunes. I think he should be staked to the Rickenbacker Bridge and have 1000 cyclist run back and forth over him until there is nothing left. /winkcolor]/color]
Vi
luv2rideMiami
Miami, FL
Post #: 10
Just not right, that this happened in the first place. Insult is public officers debating who to call to help. It's an insult since the cyclist was air-lifted in the end, but to lose 22 minutes, sad. Now, I'm unaware how long it takes to request a "air-lift", and get it, but I doubt it would take 22min, to get to Jackson from the Key.

This is not the time to question the county or other services, but one to pause a minute and mourn. My condolences to the cyclist's love ones. My Hope is to raise awarenes from both motorist, and cyclist alike.
[/cThis is exactly the time to blame the county. no other place in miami has as many people participating in out door activities, cycling, running, swimming, surfing, rubber necking, and the idiots that are in charge decide the closest source of rescue should be opened ONLY during certain hours. Helloooo, what the hell were they thinking? Let's stake them to the Rickenbacker too....olor]
A former member
Post #: 22

[[ I think he should be staked to the Rickenbacker Bridge and have 1000 cyclist run back and forth over him until there is nothing left.

And exactly how is this going to garner support for the cycling community? Because I fail to see it. I disagree with your "it's not the driver" statement as well. This individual knew exactly what he was doing. Deflecting responsibility from him will play precisely into the "sheep" mentality you're criticizing, which will allow him to get away with a 30 day sentence or worse.

Collin
emperor_tomato
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 165
I'd like to see all cyclists that want to see things get better anywhere in South Florida send an email (because they are tracked and forwarded) to both their commissioner and their mayor whether it's a city or county you live in. It is important that they know you exist and that you have concerns.
In the city of Miami there are 4 new commissioners and they have not heard from you yet, so send them an email, introduce yourself as a cyclists whether you are a commuter or a recreational rider, let them know you want a safer more bike friendly city.
Vi
luv2rideMiami
Miami, FL
Post #: 11

[[ I think he should be staked to the Rickenbacker Bridge and have 1000 cyclist run back and forth over him until there is nothing left.

And exactly how is this going to garner support for the cycling community? Because I fail to see it. I disagree with your "it's not the driver" statement as well. This individual knew exactly what he was doing. Deflecting responsibility from him will play precisely into the "sheep" mentality you're criticizing, which will allow him to get away with a 30 day sentence or worse.

[/color"knew what he was doing"? the guy was drugged up, how could he know what he was doing?

"cycling community"? is that a different breed of people? is this whole thing about cars versus bikes? this guy probably owns a bike. what does that make him?

you can disagree as it is your right, in this country, but it's all about people, society, and how there are all kinds who care and those who don't. i don't care if you disagree with me. i do care that you don't see the whole picture. have you looked around lately? do you see what people do to each other.? the lack of respect they have for each other? do you wonder why so many want nothing to do with the human race? oh, wait, your going to get on your bicycle and not think about it.

a man, father, husband is dead because society says it's ok to party all night, do drugs, drink till you puke, slap the bitch around, etc. etc. etc.

wake up bud. this wasn't car versus bike. this was murder. have a nice day.]
A former member
Post #: 23
the guy was drugged up, how could he know what he was doing?

"cycling community"? is that a different breed of people? is this whole thing about cars versus bikes? this guy probably owns a bike. what does that make him?

you can disagree as it is your right, in this country, but it's all about people, society, and how there are all kinds who care and those who don't. i don't care if you disagree with me. i do care that you don't see the whole picture. have you looked around lately? do you see what people do to each other.? the lack of respect they have for each other? do you wonder why so many want nothing to do with the human race? oh, wait, your going to get on your bicycle and not think about it.

a man, father, husband is dead because society says it's ok to party all night, do drugs, drink till you puke, slap the bitch around, etc. etc. etc.

wake up bud. this wasn't car versus bike. this was murder. have a nice day.]

I'm pretty awake and aware, thank you, and please do not make any assumptions as you do not know me. This is not about the "whole cars versus bikes" thing, I'm both a driver and a cyclist myself. I'm able to see all angles of this case, from the design flaws of the bike lanes, to rescue response, speed enforcement, etc.

It is precisely because it was murder, as you mentioned yourself, that we cannot lose sight of this particular case. Unfortunately for the driver, he has put himself in the spotlight and we can only hope that he will be made an example of, so other people who drive under the influence of alcohol and drugs will think about it twice before engaging in such activities.

He was well aware of what he was doing the moment he put whatever he put into his system. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I'm driving on my own, I know better than to drink as I know once I'm drunk I won't be able to make rational decisions. This is exactly why we have laws which prohibit driving under the influence!

Your rationale of "the guy was drugged up, how could he know what he was doing" is exactly what allows offenders like him to -literally- get away with murder... 30 day sentences, community service, etc. Then they go back to "party all night, do drugs, drink till you puke, slap the bitch around, etc." as you said it yourself. Is that the message we want to send? Do we really want people like this to get off easily and be back on the streets?

In any case, I'm sure of one thing: Having him "staked to the Rickenbacker Bridge and have 1000 cyclist run back and forth over him until there is nothing left" is certainly not going to put anyone who rides a bike in a positive light.
Vi
luv2rideMiami
Miami, FL
Post #: 12

somewhere in your rational, you get close to the root, which is exactly where you have to start to change things. society is a mess. it has always been a mess, but now it's a bigger mess. until people start to respect each other, there is no cure.

you talk about sentencing. how many days do you think it's going to take for this guy to change his ways? should we have his rights taken away,,,oh wait,,,they took his license,,,well,,,it didn't work.

until this country grabs a hold of it's cojones and stops treating criminals like school children society is screwed and in a screwed up society how can you expect to be safe on the roads. that is not realistic.

yes, it would be nice if everyone moved over, slowed down, stopped while the duck crosses the road, but life just isn't that way.

at the root of this mess is society wanting to get there yesterday, society wanting to make the big bucks, society wanting to be first in line, society climbing over the bodies of those that didn't make it.

the same society that provides cozy little jail condos for the top ranking executives who screwed their fellow man out of his hard earned dollars determines priorities.

the same society lets murderers, rapists, child molesters and all other scum of the earth walk free because they have rights. because someone didn't dot an I or cross a T.

what makes you think that cyclists rights matter to anyone other than cyclists? do you honestly think if you are on your best behavior that you will get the respect you think you deserve?

what do you want done to the idiot that took the life of a fellow human being? do you think he should be locked up, made better or eliminated?

reality says an eye for an eye. give the criminal to those he hurt. let them decide his fate.

reality says, if you play with fire you may get burned. if you play in traffic, you may get run over.

so,,,who's at fault?