addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › The elusive Metrorail Bike Permit...

The elusive Metrorail Bike Permit...

TONY
user 3166825
Miami, FL
Post #: 26
Does anyone actually carry one of these? I took the Metrorail from downtown to the MLK station last Saturday, for the TACOLCY ride just for the heck of it. It had been over 10 years since I last rode the Metro so I wanted to take a look into it.

However, I found myself going through three Metrorail stations that day and being unable to acquire the Bike Permit. At Government Center the guard didn't even bother, he said they were out and to just take the train and ask for it at the MLK station. At the MLK station the guard was friendlier and attempted to find one but no luck. He said I could get on the train and ask at another station.

I rode the train back downtown and deliberately got off the train at the Overtown station to try once again. At that station the guard, again, did not even look for the pass. He said not to worry, it is not needed and they don't check for it anyway.

The previous week, I happened to be shopping at Dadeland North and went to the station next door to get the pass and the guard said they were out and to take the train to the South Miami station because he was sure they had them there.

What's the deal with this? I tried calling the County's Bicycle coordinator but I only get his voicemail...
shock I didn't even know we even needed a pass! All I've used is the easypass. Last I read in the rule book was that cyclists had a special schedule on when they were allowed to take the bikes aboard such as rush hour. But a pass? No pass.
TONY
user 3166825
Miami, FL
Post #: 27
I figured it was something "nominal" and part of the county bureaucracy and in fact, it never made sense to me that they require such a permit on the Metrorail and not on Metrobus, given that both are run by the same agency.

I take issue with the fact that four stations in three vastly separate areas were out of it and kept referring me to "the next station." The only other way to acquire it is via snail mail (archaic) and not efficient if you just need to hop on the train and want to follow "the rules."

Being optimistic, I thought wow, lots of people must be riding their bikes and that's why they ran out... That'd be a good thing. But somehow, I suspect that's not why they were out...

They need to either have them or drop them.
Well I think that obviously for the metrobus, you're not taking the bike inside just putting them on the rack. But MetroRail is a different story.
TONY
user 3166825
Miami, FL
Post #: 28
Ok, so what have we proven here?

Everything cannot be micromanaged.

That reality is an evolutionary process which course neither cyclists nor bureaucrats can dictate.

For the bureaucrat, to acknowledge this...well, lets be kind and say inconvenient.

Cyclists, on the other hand, are catching on??
Hey Robert! Let's all do a 305 Critical Mass aboard the Metro Rail! devilish
A former member
Post #: 31
Hey Tony, yes there is such a requirement in the "book" if you wanna put it that way. However, they don't seem to stock the permits/passes they require. Either that or the guards are just plain lazy.

I realize now, that I can just hop on the train and voilà.. And it speaks volumes about the whole thing of following "the rules" which, incidentally, Critical Mass is criticized for not following. In this case, if I was to follow "the rules," I'd never be able to use the Metrorail... And ironically, the guards representing "the authority" are the ones telling people to break them.

Oh well. I just wanted to gather whether I should insist on getting the permit or just let it go. I've found my answers.

Thanks.

Muffdoc
user 8666313
Miami, FL
Post #: 29
I must be missing something here.

Yes, there was a bike pass. No it wasn't enforced. And now it's being enforce withouth a way to get a bus pass since it wasn't needed since it wasn't inforced and became a take the bike on the last car thing.

Sounds like the county milking money.
A former member
Post #: 153
Hey Robert! Let's all do a 305 Critical Mass aboard the Metro Rail!

Well, to tell you the truth, I have this motion sickness problem... crying
Munirah, The Danci...
MunirahBijan
Miami, FL
Post #: 11
Hey Tony, yes there is such a requirement in the "book" if you wanna put it that way. However, they don't seem to stock the permits/passes they require. Either that or the guards are just plain lazy.

I realize now, that I can just hop on the train and voilà.. And it speaks volumes about the whole thing of following "the rules" which, incidentally, Critical Mass is criticized for not following. In this case, if I was to follow "the rules," I'd never be able to use the Metrorail... And ironically, the guards representing "the authority" are the ones telling people to break them.

Oh well. I just wanted to gather whether I should insist on getting the permit or just let it go. I've found my answers.

Thanks.

I have been riding the Metrorail with my bike since 2006. When Wackenhut used to manage as guards, you would get conflicting reports of passes, but they let me go on during rush hour and during non-peak hours, just forced to the back car all the times during rush hour. I had the pass and they told me that with the change in the rules, where bikes are allowed at all times in the back car as long as there is space, there is no worry.

The new guards "think" they know the rules, but they don't fully. There is an inconsistency on their schedules at the station from what I keep hearing besides their understanding of the county rules.

Just make sure that you do what you are supposed to do and have them either sandwiched in the doorway opposite the opening side (know your stations to avoid a complete exit hazard when they switch access sides) and /or at the end of the cars in the aisle where it doesn't block anyone. They complete frown upon using the wheelchair access spot, and I agree that it's rude.

Until they decide how to have stand up rack like Tri-Rail (where bike permit are mandatory and checked along with tickets), no one will be messed with unnecessarily.

~Barb
TONY
user 3166825
Miami, FL
Post #: 32
So I guess we all have to hope to acquire this ghostly pass in case we get stopped. confused
Muffdoc
user 8666313
Miami, FL
Post #: 31
Unless it's changed, you don't need a pass, but you have to ride the last car.

but that was last year.
Collin
emperor_tomato
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 166
You know very few people actually get a metro-pass, but think about this. The more people asking for them, the more that have them the more the Miami Dade Transit realizes cyclists need to use the train too. They'll eventually have to start being kinder to cyclists and not harass them for using transit.
Get one and keep it in your wallet, and when the guard gives you crap you pull it out with pride and say "in your face."