The Miami Critical Mass Meetup Group Message Board › Christophe Le Canne Ghost Bike Removed!

Christophe Le Canne Ghost Bike Removed!

rydelhigh
user 4369323
Miami, FL
Post #: 173
The Christophe Le Canne memorial was removed from the Bear Cut Bridge today. I'm almost certain the Department of Public Works is responsible for this.

Email [ecalas@miamidade.gov] Esther Calas, Director of the County Public Works and request to know why the ghost bike was removed! You should also contact James Martincak, PWD Superintendent of the Causeway Division (305) 361-2833.

I want to know why no one from the cycling community was asked whether this would be a good idea or not, I guess they'll find out soon enough. The ghost bike was up for just 15 days. It was carefully placed there and maintained, it was not abandoned and did not obstruct the path of cyclists, walkers, runners, etc.

If anyone has any information on where this bike is please contact me. The wreath was also removed and both were up <a href="http://3.bp.blogspot....­ target="new">yesterday afternoon</a>. Bike thieves don't take wreaths hence all fingers point at the county.

Photo taken February 7th, 2010

Photo taken January 24th, 2010
Rebecca
user 10292581
Miami, FL
Post #: 1
FYI, I wrote to Esther Calas about the removal of the ghost bike. The PWD deemed it obstructive to the path and removed it, but they still have it and are willing to discuss its placement with people from the cycling community:

Ms. Duncan,

On Monday February 8, 2010, the bicycle which had been hung on the railing of the Bear Cut Bridge, for fallen cyclist Christophe Le Canne was carefully removed and placed in safe storage at the Public Works Department’s Causeway Maintenance Office. It has not been damaged or discarded, as we certainly understand the sentiment behind the installation, and no disrespect was intended. Please be advised that the family of the fallen cyclist was contacted by the Department in order to offer them the bicycle which needed to be removed to avoid any potential injuries, however the family respectfully declined to accept it.

This bicycle had been chained to the railing along the Bear Cut Bridge multiple-use path, without notice or prior approval by PWD and protruded into the pathway which could cause injury to a non-motorized path user. We are certain the parties responsible for the installation of this memorial never intended to create a path obstruction to the pedestrians or bicyclists, but that could be the unfortunate result. Please note that prior to the Memorial Ride, on Friday January 22, 2010 a permanent memorial marker was attached to the bridge at the point of the accident by the Public Works Department (see picture below).

The Public Works Department is committed to working with representatives of the bicycle organizations to review possible locations for the placement of the bicycle memorial. A meeting will be scheduled with said representatives and County staff in order to discuss a suitable and safe location.

Thank you,

Esther Calas, P.E., Director

Public Works Department
rydelhigh
user 4369323
Miami, FL
Post #: 174
Thanks Rebecca

Everyone received the same email response today. I spoke to the PWD yesterday afternoon and will be trying to find a place to relocate the ghost bike to.