May 13, 2013 · 6:30 PM
This location is shown only to members
This month we will focus on the infrastructure and operations side of our world. This is an area that has been getting a lot of innovation and change for the past few years, especially with the emergence of DevOps movement.
1. Talk - Practitioner's Guide to DevOps by Dave Zwieback
2. "Open Mike" / 5 min - Asking for Help / Expertise - opportunity ask questions from the group
3. Panel Discussion on TechOps with David Mitchell and Jereme Corrado and one more panelist TBA.
4. After-hour hangout. After the meetup, as always, we'll go to a nearby bar and continue the conversation. Please join us! - Corkbuzz Wine Studio, 13 E 13th St, New York, NY 10003 http://goo.gl/maps/72i07
Talk: A practitioner's guide to devops.
Speaker: Dave Zwieback
Summary: There's a lot of hype and misunderstanding about devops. We'll cut through the noise, and learn about the benefits of devops as its actually practiced, and how organizations can move closer to devops principles of CAMS (Culture, Automation, Measurement, Sharing).
Speaker bio: Dave's been managing large-scale mission-critical infrastructure and teams for 17 years. He is the CTO of Lotus Outreach. He was previously the head of infrastructure at Knewton. managed UNIX Engineering at D.E. Shaw & Co. and enterprise monitoring tools at Morgan Stanley, an also ran an infrastructure architecture consultancy for 7 years. Follow Dave @mindweather or on his website, mindweather.com.
Panel: Technical Operations
We will take a deep dive into the world of technical operations. Our panelists will share the lessons they have learnt over the years managing diverse systems infrastructures.
- David Mitchell is Vice President of Technical Operations at Amplify, where he is building a new set of education technology services delivered through Amplify’s Android based tablet. Prior to joining Amplify, David spent over ten years growing and maturing technical operations in online retail and travel. His experience includes building and scaling Travelocity.com from its early stages as an online travel agency to having the ability to support millions of requests per day. David also built Technical Operations teams for lastminute.com in Europe, Sabre Holdings, and the online retail company ideeli Inc. David studied computer science at the University of Oklahoma and holds a master's degree in business administration from Southern Methodist University.
- Jereme Corrado is the Systems Architect for Birchbox where he runs the Technical Operations team. Birchbox is building new patterns of customer and brand interaction predicated on discovery, trial and personalized learning. We aim to be the primary platform for this new model and our engineering team is already delivering the foundation. Before Birchbox he worked at Meetup, The Electric Sheep Company and a miscellany of *NIX shops, stretching back about 15 years. He doesn't think "the cloud" will solve everything.
- Ian White is the Co-Founder and CTO of Sailthru, a technology company specializing in digital brand experiences and communications. Ian's extensive development background building complex, large-scale systems in multiple languages, and a deep expertise in data mining and API and web service development led him to partner with Neil Capel, CEO of Sailthru, to develop Sailthru's unique capabilities.
Moderator: Liz Crawford, CTO, Birchbox & CTO School Co-Organizer