addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 473
Just curious what types of medical problems your Doxies have as Oskar is our 1st one.

Oskar has both food & environmental allergies. His thyroid also tends to run a bit low, though we're not on any medications for that currently. My main problem is that he has what I call "Chipmunk Cheeks." The little dude has these spaces in the back that he can't seem to get the food out of so his breath is HORRENDOUS! Anyone else in a similar boat?
Dan W.
user 13216539
Olympia, WA
Post #: 34
My Doxie has been prone to tonsilitis and digestive problems. Because they are hounds they stick their noses so many places they shouldn't. Since switiching to a premium grain free, food her stomach issues have been much better. So many Doxies have back problems, I know some that have had broken backs just by jumping off the couch. Teaching a Doxie to sit up is also not a good thing for their back, I am told it compresses their discs.
I hope you enjoy Oskar as much as I do my Honey. They are special dogs. Look forward to meeting you all one these meet ups
Dan
&
Honey.
Whitney
user 3122671
Olympia, WA
Post #: 11
Oud 8-year-old doxie, Josie, was allergy tested when she was 2 and turned out to be allergic to a variety of outdoor allergens (pollens, etc) and certain foods. What prompted us to get her tested was she would break out in hives, her entire head, face and mouth swelling up, when exposed to something outdoors in the summertime. We changed her food to less allergenic options and she hasn't had a problem with the environmental allergies since. She does have skin issues from time to time (dry skin, especially). We keep her bathed regularly and adjust the food as needed - keep in mind their nutritional needs change over time so the food they eat at 1 may not work at 8. I've found Mud Bay to be a fantastic resource when it comes to food and resolving non-acute issues (dry skin, joint pain, etc) with food and supplements.

Josie also can get food stuck in her cheeks, though it doesn't seem to happen too often. We do get her teeth cleaned pretty regularly as small dogs in particular seem to have more dental issues. We had to do one cleaning (the first) with anesthesia and that whole scene, but since then we've been able to do the non-anesthetic "gentle dental" cleanings (yes, even with a doxie!).

Lastly, as Dan mentioned, be careful with the back. Josie just had disc surgery last year. For a long time we weren't cautious enough about running up and down stairs and jumping on things. Now we are very careful. It's a very expensive procedure, and tough to watch your dog go through!