add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Olympia Dachshund Meetup Group Message Board › suggestions needed

suggestions needed

A former member
Post #: 14
HI there,

my name is Amy. I am moving overseas for 6-8 months next April and looking to foster out my two doxies, mom and son. Just talking about it is killing me. I would like to hear any ideas people might have, whether I should advertise them to give them away or just see if someone can keep them for that time period.

they are 5 and 6, mom is a mini and son is 19 pounds. I just don't know what to do.
ps we are currently living near minneapolis but call olympia our home...
A former member
Post #: 15
after some serious thought, i answered my own question. i am looking for a foster home for about 6 months starting next april for my two weiner dogs. i can pay for ALL food, vet, frontline, etc in advance of my departure to Thailand to work a temporary job.

if you or anyone you know who is an experienced doxie owner is interested here are the details:

Stassja is a six year old black n tan mom
Zero is her 19 pound dapple son
they have never been apart nor do I want them to be.

the pros:
They are doxies, awesome, wonderful, amazing, full of personality.
They are easy to deal with and dont require alot of walking
They love dog parks
They are huge snugglers and will keep you warm at night
They have been raised with a cat.

the cons:
They are doxies, they bark, they dont like being cold or wet and they can be mischievous
Stassja doesnt like small children
They will chase cats but if the said cat holds its ground there is not a hassle.
They need a fenced yard with no holes
They take awhile to warm up to people but when they do, they are all over ya.
they have a couple minor medical issues, a stuff neck which I treat with metacam once in awhile and a very rare seizure which doesnt require anything..

but hey..they are doxies!

thank you.
Katy C.
Group Organizer
Olympia, WA
Post #: 124
It's good you are planning ahead! Hopefully, someone will be able to help you. We are having a Meetup this Saturday at Hawks Prairie off-leash park. Maybe you can come and introduce them!

A former member
Post #: 18
i wish I could! i am currently located in minneapolis, going to school. i think some people from the group know us though as we have been to a few meetups with this group in the last 2 years!
Dan W.
user 13216539
Olympia, WA
Post #: 39
Hi Amy,
Dan and Honey here, sorry to hear that you have to leave your dogs for awhile. I would take them in a second if I wasn't considering moving to an apartment. We had fun the times when we were able to meet up with you at the dog park. They are great dogs. I will keep you in mind and see if I can help out in any way. Take care and keep in touch.
Dan and Honey
A former member
Post #: 19
i was thinking of you dan! dont move to an apartment!!