addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Olympia Dachshund Meetup Group Message Board › Annie has skin problem? HELP!

Annie has skin problem? HELP!

Diana
user 13876100
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 2
I'm totally new to having a smaller dog, Dachshunds in particular, and now my new little friend is exibiting bad rashes on her underside, especially on her chest and stomach. These have been accompanied with small white blister-like eruptions and her whole underside is very red. She got this the first time after running freely into the bushes and brambles over at PLU (chasing a rabbit) and again the other day after having had a bath the night before. Since (I think) she experienced both things each time, I don't know which (if either?) may have caused the rashes. With her bath I used Perfect Coat natural Oatmeal Shampoo with panthenol "to soothe irritated skin." It also has the "long-lasting scent French Vanilla. It's from the same bottle my son uses to wash his lab-mix. Any full-out recommendations as to the best vet to take her to? I haven't money to burn, so can only go if I really need to. Thanks, Diana
Diana
user 13876100
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 3
Oh, btw, these rashes did subside and appear to have gone away after a day or two...but she also was so HOT at night (yes, under the covers) that I wondered if she'd had a fever, too. I'm so confused.
Whitney
user 3122671
Olympia, WA
Post #: 12
Our doxie, Josie (now 8 1/2) has had a variety of skin issues over the years. My understanding is that doxies are prone to them. When Josie was 2 she began breaking out in hives during the summer when she was outdoors. We ended up having her allergy tested (not cheap, it was around $400, but gave us a lot of useful info). She was very allergic to a variety of pollens, and also sensitive to certain foods, including common meats (chicken and beef among them) and grains. We changed her food to a more low-allergen option for her and she never had the reaction to the pollens again (i.e. by reducing her overall exposure to allergens through changing her food, something we could easily control, we lessened her allergic response to things that were harder to control, like being outdoors and being exposed to pollen). Over the past two summers she has had issues with dry, itchy skin, and our vet suggested she may have a flea allergy (not just getting bit by fleas, though we do give her flea meds in the summer, but have an actual allergy to the fleas). Their suggestion was, for next year, to try a different flea medication (Revolution is what they like, we were using Program) and possibly to give her a steroid shot if it got really bad. Lastly, I have found Mud Bay pet store to be helpful with providing suggestions for things to try, whatever the problem may be. They have specific handouts on how to deal with dogs with itchy skin, fleas, etc. Not a substitute for going to the vet but often a good starting place, and less invasive suggestions.
Diana
user 13876100
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 4
Thanks for your reply...very helpful:)
Dan W.
user 13216539
Olympia, WA
Post #: 41
My Honey has had her share of skin and rash issues as well as stomach issues in her 4 years so far. The information from my vet as been invaluable in getting her on a healthy track. I have spent a considrable sum on the issues but my vet has saved me alot of money also by informing me of over the counter medications that can be used instead of expensive prescriptions. I also spent hours researching food allergys. One of the sites I found to fit my needs the best is "dogfoodadvisor.com" This site is totally independent of any dog food company. I found the information so helpful and you can even sign up for email alerts on any dog food recalls that are issued. I was amazed at the number of recalls there are that never make the news. In the last year or so my Honey has been rash and hive free. About the same she has been on a more holistic type dog food and healthy treats. There are several good foods out there, I decided on Blue Buffalo Freedom, grain and corn free. She likes it and seems to digest it very well. I also switched my laundry detergent to a clear or no dyes and this may have helped in the rash and hive area.
Diana
user 13876100
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 8
I want to thank you all for your replies; I will make use of all your suggestions.
A former member
Post #: 3
Just read about Annie's skin problem and not sure where you're at now in figuring out what is wrong.
One thing came to mind when I read your original post: That shampoo may have sounded "natural"...but fact that it has a fragrance in it means it has chemicals. I highly suggest reading the labels and if there are words there you cannot pronounce...it's probably a chemical.

Another issue with these weiners and other dogs that are so low to the floor/ground - is products that may have been used in the yard or inside the house (for instance carpet cleaners). They leave a residue in the carpeting and can be very irritating to the skin.

Keep up the good work. I know you're a caring owner and only want what is best for Annie.
Diana
user 13876100
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 11
Thank You :) Annie has been doing well since she went through a course of antibiotics. I also purchased an antibacterial shampoo from the vet and use it on her about once a week, more if she gets into the bushes and ends up all scratched up. I also switched laundry detergents to the no-dyes, no-scents, etc., type and stopped using any softeners or dryer sheets. So far, so good.

Oh, and I have been careful about her food, but honestly she eats most of what I eat, as well, and it hasn't seemed to be a problem. I feed her better than I feed myself!