Dallas PHP Message Board › Newbie Web Developer needs some WordPress Help

Newbie Web Developer needs some WordPress Help

Marion McCaffrey S...
my4skcg
Plano, TX
Post #: 1
Hi, I'm Marion. My background is software, been home w/kids for several years, now getting back into it by learning web development.

I have the perfect opportunity right now ... helping a friend set up a website for her bakery business. BUT, she needs it quick! Just something basic. So, I've opted to set up a WordPress site. There is SO much to read and learn that I'm a bit overwhelmed with this time constraint on me. Needs to be something there by this weekend.

I have WordPress installed, and have picked a theme. Now I need to customize it. This is where I'd like some pointers. If someone is available to give me some guidance, this is how I propose to get the help I want. I will send a few links of sites that I like certain features, and a link to my site. Then, if you could tell me, for example, to create the navigation links you need to do ... You don't need to give me the specifics, I can look on the WordPress site for the specific directions, but I just need to know what directions to follow.

Am I making any sense?

For this weekend, the site just needs a Home page, About Me, either Gallery or at least just a page to post a few pics of cakes, and Contact Me. I'm not sure if we even want blogging. Eventually maybe a place to allow customers to post remarks.

Thank you so much for any & all help I get,
Marion
Kyle S.
user 12067087
Dallas, TX
Post #: 3
I believe wordpress does most of what you want out of the box (as far as static pages). Contact may or may not be in wordpress by default by now.

You might look into plugins for the Gallery. http://wordpress.org/...­
A former member
Post #: 1
You might also consider http://modx.com... - all of the pages that you described would be very simple to do in MODX. And since we're local, we'd be happy to spend the 30 minutes it would take to get you up to speed on building a super fast website for your friend.

- Kevin
MODX