Dallas PHP Message Board › New Book "The Joy of PHP" is free for members, this weekend only

New Book "The Joy of PHP" is free for members, this weekend only

Alan F.
user 46169242
Boston, MA
Post #: 5
Hi all,

This weekend you'll be glad you don't live in New England, as I do. We're expecting two feet of snow! While I'm out shoveling, you could be learning PHP with a free gift from me to my fellow Dallas PHP members.

I have recently launched my book 'The Joy of PHP' on Amazon.com in the Kindle store. Starting tonight at midnight, and lasting through the weekend the book is absolutely free. That's right, the cost to you is $0!

I wrote the book because I really love PHP, and I am looking to inspire a new generation of coders. If you are just starting out, this book is for you! I am giving the book away to help my book get noticed by Amazon. Even if you don't have a Kindle you can easily download a Kindle reader for almost every platform you might own.

My only request is that after you've taken a look at the book, please go back to the page in Amazon and take the time to give it a positive review. Reviews and ratings are what makes a book bubble to the top of search results.

If you have a negative opinion, or improvement suggestion, I'd rather you give it to me directly (you can email me through this group) and I'll use your feedback in future editions. I am definitely open to hearing your ideas. The offer expires Monday night, so don't delay, and happy reading.

Regards,

Alan
Robert K.
user 68209692
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Thank you for the generous offer. Unfortunately, it seems Amazon is not offering the book for free. Is this a mistake, or do we need some kind of special code?

Thanks,
Rob
Joel
Joel-in-Dallas
Plano, TX
Post #: 66
Apparently the offer was posted here on the 7th and the initial notice was received but missed by me on the 8th at 3:40AM. It is Monday the 11th and the offer is supposed to be over today at midnight yet the Amazon price is showing $4.99. Nice thought none the less Alan. I would have enjoyed this well this weekend, but alas it was not meant to be.

Perhaps I will spend the $5 on it but not having a kindle and have not having used their app I am less inclined to read books on my PC, but I certainly would have been open for change on this, and that seems to be out of the way to help an author do a review.

The rest of my thoughts are critical, so Alan you have that in a personal email as requested.

I too would like to get a copy and then download the kindle reader and give it a gander. I have never overtly paid someone to gain a copy of a book to review or comment upon. Somehow that feels like paying for sex, something else I have never done. LOL

Joel
Joel
Joel-in-Dallas
Plano, TX
Post #: 67
I just noticed your explaination to the reviewer's comment who dunned it over the use of SQL Injection. Good response on your part and I marked it so. Now I want to give the book a look even more than before. <sigh>
I sent you a personal email as well.