Dallas PHP Message Board › PHP upgrade breaks website

PHP upgrade breaks website

Charles M.
user 85185862
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
I maintain a couple of DokuWiki based sites. Recently one of them has been "deprecated", I assume by a PHP upgrade on the server, and is no longer functional. I inherited maintenace of these sites from a friend and I am not a web designer. Just a simple engineer.

My first question is why is it necessary that an upgrade to PHP cannot be backward compatible?

I suppose that I could look in to upgrading the DokuWiki. From just a cursory look it appears that upgrading Doku will also result in problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Doug J.
dugjohnson
Plano, TX
Post #: 1

My first question is why is it necessary that an upgrade to PHP cannot be backward compatible?
Because sometimes the fixes really DO need to be made for security reasons which is more important than ever.
You'll be pleased to know that it probably isn't THAT big of a deal, since you are a humble engineer, and most of the deprecated stuff that I've encountered is pretty easy to fix. The first place you want to look is your error logs, since that will tell you exactly what/where the problem is, but if it is choking on warnings (I had a site whose error log grew to monstrous proportions because of the following problem) it will be VERY ease to fix. One of the ones that comes up immediately on old sites is the setting of the system date/time setting in PHP.INI. That generates a warning with one of the upgrades, and since dates get used a lot, you'll get a lot of warnings.
But your logs are your friends.
Until you know exactly why you are having problems you can neither fix nor work around it.