Dallas PHP Message Board › PHP coding missionary visiting Dallas area - looking for a couple evenings o

PHP coding missionary visiting Dallas area - looking for a couple evenings of OOP/MVC guidance

Karen E.
OsakaWebbie
Osaka, JP
Post #: 1
I'm a missionary in Japan, but what I do most day-to-day is help other missionaries, churches, etc. by developing resources with my tech skills (see http://proverbs2525.o...­ for more about us in general, although this project is not mentioned much there). My current biggest project is in PHP, and I'm a bit stuck - I suspect that any of you with experience with MVC architecture could help me get unstuck, if you would be willing to spend a little time with me discussing my code. I'll be in the NE Texas area for four months, and I'm hoping to spend most of my free time coding, so if I can get "unstuck" soon after arrival in early February, that would be ideal. I'll go anywhere in the DFW area that has internet. Interested in helping missions without spending a penny? Message me.

More details: Starting in about the year 2000, I threw together a simple online database app to organize information about the people that my husband and I were meeting in our ministry (my career before going to the mission field was in systems development, especially databases, so God is not wasting my background!). And since then I have been gradually adding to it and providing it to various ministries and churches in Japan, so now it is big and complex (see http://l4jp.com/en/pr...­ for the layman's description of part of its functionality). It's written in PHP, with a MySQL database and jQuery stuff on the front end (even a smattering of TeX to create PDFs - I use whatever is useful!). To take it to the next level and make it easier to maintain, I want to migrate (rewrite?) it in OOP/MVC. I have done my best to study OO PHP and MVC architecture via books and video training, and I feel like I understand the simplistic examples therein. But they never give complex enough examples for me to make the leap to seeing what to do with a lot of the pages in Kizuna, and I've been geographically distant from the programming community since 1996, so normally my only way of bouncing ideas off others is via tech forums, which is restricted to asking very specific questions of people who have never seen my code in action.

I look forward to attending Dallas PHP meetings while I'm in the area, but what I really need is someone who is willing to sit down with me, let me show you Kizuna, and help me figure out how I should approach the task of separating it into models, views, controllers, and templates. I want to follow the latest best practices, because whatever structure I write now will probably be in use a decade or two from now! I'm open to the idea of frameworks, and even looked at yii a bit, but I have been handcoding for so long that I have a feeling that I'll find frameworks restrictive and cumbersome, so my current plan is to do it myself.
Doug J.
dugjohnson
Plano, TX
Post #: 3
I would be glad to assist with this. I have worked in both Drupal (CMS) and Zend Framework (MVC Framework) and looked at several others. You'll probably want to work through your approach for the move over even though the temptation to start coding is great...for Satan said unto Jesus as he went to the wilderness to be tested, "If you will begin coding without a plan, I will make your code greater than any on the earth." but Jesus replied "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps".
Coulda happened.
In any case, you can get me at doug at asknice dot com. If nothing else, my wife and I would be glad to have you over for dinner and geek conversation.