In keeping with the "___or Bust" hiking series this hike is for those who went on a hike recently but didn't complete certain aspects but wanted to. A few weeks ago I hiked the Whiteoak Canyon (WOC) trail but was not able to have lunch at the Skyland Resort or hike the Stony Man circuit. So this Sat I want to make up for it and have lunch at Skyland resport and hike the Stony Man circuit. Here is my plan:
- Proceed up the WOC trail from the WOC parking area to the WOC Skyline Drive Trailhead
- Hike to the AT (north) from the WOC Skyline Drive parking lot
- Turn right on the AT (north) and hike to the Stony Man Summit (turn left off the AT onto the Stony Man summit trail)
- Descend the Stony Man summit and turn left back onto the AT (north)
- Hike the AT (north) to Little Stony Man
- Turn onto the Passamaquoddy Trail en route to Skyland Resort Dining room (need to get there in between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. as this is when they serve lunch).
- Eat lunch at Skyland Dining Room.
- Hike back down toward the WOC Trailhead parking lot
- Reach intersection of AT and go south on the AT toward Hawksbill summit
- Hike the Lower Hawksbill Trail to Hawksbill Summit.
- Descend Hawksbill Summit, cross Skyline Drive
- Hike the Cedar Run Trail to the WOC Parking Lot.
A couple of additional notes. The Skyland Resort will open for lunch on March 24, 2013. If Skyline drive is closed, the dining facility may not be open. I will call to confirm that the dining facility will be open prior to the hike. We will need to hike the Whiteoak Canyon trail to Skyline Drive and hike the Stony Man circuit so that we make it to the Skyland Dining facility around 12:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. The dining facility has pretty good food with beer and spirits, etc.
Water levels along Cedar Run and WOC may be high due to possible snow melt. Be prepared to cross the creek when the water levels may be slightly higher.
I'm going to limit this hike to 10 people.
We will meet at the Centreville Park & Ride at 7:30am and head from there to the White Oak Canyon parking area [masked] [masked]). The goal will be to begin the hike at 9:00am sharp!
Those who are driving from the DC area please assist those without vehicles and pick them up if possible before heading to the Centreville Park & Ride. Use the event comments list to coordinate this transportation assistance.
Water - Recommend that you start with at least 2 liters.
Trail Food - bring some snacks and a backup sandwich in case the Skyland Dining facility is closed.
Clothing - Layered clothing to 1) allow delayering in order to limit sweating and 2) layers that can be added to retain body warmth when at the summits in the wind. Hat and gloves. Wouldn't hurt to bring an extra pair of socks and extra pair of shoelaces.
Other - Additional clothing/equipment depending upon the conditions. Rain shell, etc. Specific additional requirements will be posted prior to the hike if conditions require them.
Map - Print off the SNP White Oak Canyon Area Road and Trail Map, the Hawksbill Mountain Area Trail map, and the Skyland Area trail map. I will send it around to those who sign up.
If you have any questions, feel free to either post a comment or to send your question to me in a private email.