Well, its finally come time this year where I can start thinking about plans for backpacking in my favorite area so far in the mid-atlantic. Yep, its the Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers area in southern VA!
Alright so here are the trip details:
- We will hit the road by 8am and hopefully get to the trail by 2pm. We will be overnight parking our cars at the Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park.
- Once there, we will start walking towards Mt. Rogers via the Wilburn Ridge Trail and AT. (~5 miles to the summit of Mt. Rogers).
- Once reaching the summit, we will double back towards Thomas Knob Shelter where we will supply up with water and then head another mile N. bound on the AT where we will set up for camp.
- We will hit the trail at 8am and continue walking along the AT N. bound for about .2 miles.
- Then we'll head along the Pine Mountain Trail for about 2 miles where we'll meet back up with the AT.
- We will once more hit the AT, but head S. bound for 4 miles where we'll hit Wise Shelter.
- I know a couple areas just before, the shelter area and we will set up camp. Water is plentiful in this area. If we have time, we can hike around some more to explore.
- We'll aim start off early (so we get back to DC in a decent time) and head S. Bound on the AT for 1.9 miles were we will hit a spur trail leading to the parking lot at Massie Gap.
- After .8 miles, we will be at our cars.
- If the time is right and the weather is good, we may stop at Devil's Backbone Brewery for lunch.
Mileage splits are 5/6.2/2.7. So we'll have lots of opportunities to take pics, explore, etc.
I expect everyone attending to have a map. I recommend the NatGeo Map - 318 (Mount Rogers High Country)
Note: By RSVPing in this or any WB trips, you agree to Washington Backpackers waiver liability terms.