Scala DC - MD - NOVA Message Board Scala DC/MD/NOVA Discussion Forum › Functional Programming

Functional Programming

A former member
Post #: 1
It was my first group meeting last night, and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. I am excited to learn more and Scala. I am especially interested to learn more about functional programming. One of the things that is appealing about Scala (and distinguishes it from many other languages) is its support for both object-oriented and functional styles. I didn't hear much discussion about the functional aspect last night. For those who are already doing Scala, I am curious to know which way you are using it.

Some topics I would be interested in:
*Basics of functional programming
*When you should prefer functional over object-oriented
*How functional programming is implemented in Scala
*Using recursion

Also, we talked a little bit about Groovy and I wanted to mention that I recently started a group specifically about Groovy and that whole ecosystem. Here is the website if anyone is interested:
http://www.dcgroovy.o...­

There is already out of the box support for Scala in Gradle (for builds) and Griffon (think Grails for Swing). I believe Java, Scala, and Groovy would play well together. :) Exciting times on the JVM.

David