SPOTS ARE STILL OPEN. DEPOSIT IS DUE ASAP.
4/6/14 UPDATE: Please see the links below to make deposit payments. For early bird 10% discount, please send your deposits in by April 8, 2014.
ALTAI TOUR 50% DEPOSIT ONLY ($498):
CLICK HERE TO PAY VIA PAYPAL
GOBI TOUR 50% DEPOSIT ONLY ($245):
CLICK HERE TO PAY VIA PAYPAL
This active/trekking trip is from August 21 to September 9, 2014.
3/15/14 UPDATE: Hi. Here are the answers to people's questions from the 1st meeting:
1. Group can leave stuff at the starting point of the trek in Ulgii and retrieve the stuff after the trek before starting the Gobi tour.
2. Maximum weight for bags on domestic flight: 15 kg (both carry on & check in). Extra cost for excess weight: $1.70 per kg.
3. Daily mileage/hours of the hike: 8-25 kms; 5-7 hours a day.
4. Altai temperature @ night/day: -5+10 celcius at night; +10+25 during day. Snow possible on high camp (such as on days 7-8).
5. Gobi temperature @night/day: +3+15 at night; +10+30 during the day.
6. We are tenting (2-person) the entire time. But the tours allow visiting nomads and their homes (ger camps).
7. Each person is allowed up to 60kgs of items for animal to carry.
8. Horse riding is doable in Altai; camel and horse riding are doable in Gobi.
9. On day 2-4, fly fishing for graylings is doable on Altai tour
10. Trip insurance you buy on your own.
11. Refund policy- cancel 31-60 days prior, 75% refund. Cancel 30 days or less, no refund.
2/23/14 UPDATE: The information on costs, itinerary, payment deadlines can be found under the File Folder for this meetup group. Please review the information and email me if you have questions. In a nutshell-
Part 1 Altai Trek for 10 days - $996 (2 people minimum)
Part 2 Gobi for 5 days - $490 (requires 5 pax minimum).
Domestic flight is extra and is about $450 or so round trip.
To reserve - 50% deposit due now but no later than May 8, 2014.
Early bird discount of 10% if deposit is sent by April, 8, 2014.
Flight payment is due by May 8, 2014. Balance is due by June 15, 2014.
Tour costs include meals, camping gear, guide, airport transfers and land transport.
Exclusions: UB hostel stay before and after the tours; domestic flights; alcoholic beverages, personal expenses, single supplement of $28 per day; laundry etc.
***PLEASE SEE THE DOCUMENT IN THE FILE FOLDER FOR SPECIFICS**
Highlights of the trip:
1. Altai Mountain Region (highest mountains in Mongolia)
"In Altai Tavan Bogd National Park, snow capped mountains, glacial valleys, forests and beautiful lakes and rivers create a majestic setting. In the north of the park, Khuiten peak (4374m, the highest point of Mongolia) of the Altai Tavan Bogd Mountains and the Potuninii Glacier (23km²) draw alpine enthusiasts from around the world. This park extends over 6,300km² of land, including Altai, Sagsai, Ulaanhus and Tsengel soums. There are about 35 glaciers in the Altai Tavan Bogd including Potaninii Glacier. Throughout the park fishing, hiking canoeing, camping and horseback and camel riding are possible. In addition to recreational activities, the park is rich in archaeological sites including petroglyphs, Turkic men stone and burial mounds."
2. The Gobi Desert
3. Staying in Ger Camps!
Aug 21, Thurs: Fly out
Aug 22, Fri: en route
Aug 23, Sat: arrive at Ulaanbaatar
Aug 24, Sun: fly to Ulgii
Aug 24-Sept2: Trekking/sightseeing in Altai Mountain region
Sept 2: fly to UB
Sept 4-8: Gobi Desert, 5 day/4 nights
Sept 9: Fly home or stay longer
Trip Style: ACTIVE. That means we will be moving around very quickly and doing multi-day treks in the mountains where temperature can fall below freezing at nights (especially in Altai region).
Trekking tours: Getting around Mongolia without a guide/help of a tour agency is difficult so we will likely have to hire guides/transports for the trekking portions of the trip. The cost goes down with more people in the group. More information on the actual cost to be provided as it becomes available.
Accommodation: BASIC. Hostels, ger camps and tents.
Hiking Ability Level: STRENUOUS. The trek is at high altitude (3300 meters high at the most). You must be a regular hiker/backpacker and can at least do 7 miles a day with significant elevation. Please send me an email regarding your hiking/backpacking experience before signing up so I can ensure this trip is suitable for you.
Flights: You're responsible for booking your international flight to and from Ulaanbaatar. If you have miles, you can book round-trip flight from DC area to UlanBaatar starting at 65,000 miles.
We also have to book internal flights to Olgii - the gateway to Altai trekking - $450 or so.
RSVP YES so you receive future notices/updates. Email me if you have questions.