The Washington D.C. Metro Area English Bulldog Meetup Group Message Board › Question regarding breeder

Question regarding breeder

Jennifer E.
user 46683942
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
I am brand new to the group and don't actually have a bulldog yet. My husband and I will be adding a bulldog puppy to our family this fall. I wanted to join this site to learn more about the breed. We have no prior experience with bulldogs but have been doing a lot of research and they seem to be wonderful dogs!

I just wanted to ask if anyone has a bulldog from Sugarplum bulldogs? This is where we are getting our puppy. We have been out to visit and have had several converstaions, seems to be a great place. I can't find any referrals and thought I would see if anyone has puppies from here. If so, can you please give me some feedback about your puppy regarding health. This is our major concern as they seem to have several pretty major medical issues.

Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Irene S.
user 27065462
Arlington, VA
Post #: 13
Actually, there are several of us here that have adopted from Sugarplum. Morgan is very supportive when it comes to first time bully owners! Don't let what I'm about to share dissuade you from getting a bully, but prepare yourself for a high maintenance dog. I would get pet insurance for your puppy for the first year, at least. You may be lucky though, some folks don't go through anything!

Our little guy Mochi has been through a lot. It first started with skin issues that still to this day can't pin down the cause. He had spotty hairloss that ran along both sides of his body. It was either food or flea/tick medication. We changed both at the time and haven't had issues since. Grain free food for Mochi and most bulldogs. You also have to be pretty assertive with nice folks who try to give your little buddy treats. They are not familiar with bully sensitivities. As for Flea/Tick meds, we use Frontline.

The next were respiratory and throat issues - he got into a plant that he was allergic to once, and then caught kennel cough at daycare another time. Each time, he was treated with 2 week dose of antibiotics.

He's had his share of ear infections as well, again caused by allergies, but seasonal. Treated by ear goop that you massage into their ears when needed or ear drops (not fun). Just keep the ears clean and dry every other time. Look out for that stinky ear and dark discharge... indication of infection.

At some point he acquired a parasitic infection once that was detected in his poo, so stay on top of the heartworm meds. We use Interceptor.

The EYES. Mochi had cherry eye with his left on a recurring basis. I finally learned how to massage it back into place, but it got to a point where it wouldn't recede and our only option was to have surgery. I recommend waiting no longer than a couple of weeks to have it treated, otherwise the healing time takes a little longer. If it wasn't enough that one eye had cherry eye, the night before surgery, his RIGHT eye decided to cherry out. What was good about it is that it could be treated at the same time, since it's not a surgical procedure that can be done to prevent it, only treat it. He looks like he's never had the condition! He does get red, irritated eyes because of allergies, so Zaditor was recommended by the vet. (Eye drops for humans) But I'm big on natural products, so we're using Simalasan eye drops (for people) on him. Relieves just fine.

"Shopping around" for a Dr will be based on a few factors you decide, but if I can recommend one - Dr. Krochak at VCA in Alexandria, Duke St. location.

There are other posts about surgeries and conditions posted - you'll find great support here.
TC
Treatz
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
The breeder I used last year is an individual, Nancy Baker. She's up near Cumberland, Md., but it's worth the trip. Not sure if she has any puppies at the moment, but it's likely if she doesn't, she will soon.

I recommend her because I had NO problems with the puppy I got from her. Sophie is nearly one and a half and (knock on wood) is a healthy, energetic little girl. I have had English Bulldogs and had one when I got s Sophie, but had never trained a puppy. Nancy was very helpful.

Nancy Baker: 301-325-1821
Kotomi H
user 12633034
Rockville, MD
Post #: 2
Hello, I also got my bully from Nancy Backer and my bully does not have any serious issues at all since I got him 6 years ago.
She is reachable at any time so whenever I have question about bulldog, I can call her and she is always willing to give tips. She mentioned she now has 6 puppies!!(as of Sep 17) She lives in Maryland, so I would highly recommend make a trip to her house to see the puppies.

Good luck~!
Trish
user 67763102
Washington, DC
Hi I purchased a puppy from Morgan , all I can say is my little girl is healthy and playful. She was out of Wilma and Nick. My vet was shocked how well breed she was. I'm even thinking about getting a second one!
Dan W.
user 90523552
Washington, DC
For anyone looking for a puppy Nancy Baker has a litter now that have females available. Great Breeder!!!! 301-325-1821 She is up in Cumberland MD and well worth the trip!!!wink
BRODY
user 10914832
Frederick, MD
Post #: 12
Does nancy baker in Cumberland, MD have a website? Or name of her bulldogs so I can maybe pull up some information and pictures of puppies.

Thanks!
TC
Treatz
Washington, DC
Post #: 12
Don't believe she has a website. Give her a call and she'll email you photos if she has puppies.

My girl is now more than two years old and knock on wood is very healthy. I got her from Nancy when she was 8 weeks.
Kotomi H
user 12633034
Rockville, MD
Post #: 3
Hi everyone!

Here is Nancy's facebook page! There you'll see some recently born puppies pictures. Enjoylove struck
https://www.facebook....­
TC
Treatz
Washington, DC
Post #: 13
Very cool!

Thanks for sharing, Kotomi!