DC Whitewater Kayakers Message Board › Looking for a place to paddle

Looking for a place to paddle

Brian James
user 12297587
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I want to take a friend out that has very little experience. He lives near great falls but I don't know the area. I am more familiar with Harper's ferry area. Is there somewhere we can go that will be beginner friendly but still have some decent moving water? Hoping to be out on the water somewhere by 11am if anyone wants to join us. Thanks

Brian
Francois
user 2877847
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 8
You can go to the Washington Canal. Follow River Road in Maryland to Violette's Lock upriver. From there cross the Potomac directly to the other side where you'll catch the entrance to the Washington Canal. Get out back on to the river about half a mile past the tree with the rope swing. Cross back to the MD side. You should see a small beach with a worn path leading up to the C&O Canal tow path. Get off there and plop the boat into the canal. Paddle back up to Violette's Lock.

Francois
John Deans
user 8806464
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Check out the beta here: http://www.americanwh...­
it's a great little run, with a fairly decent place to learn to surf, I taught a friend of mine here and it was perfect.