Beginners Ride - Easy Pace - 5 to 9-Miles (No Drop)
It's time for another Beginners Ride to get to know the MTB tails of Fountainhead Park in Fairfax Station! Kyle Bondo will be hosting a Beginners Ride - Easy Pace - starting at the main parking lot to the right after driving into the park off Hampton Road. Please park near the pavilion and the mini-golf course and look for me next to my black Jeep and sporting the ever-so-stylish green/white/black Potomac Velo Club (PVC) jersey.
No charge -- all are welcome!
Main Group Ride -- The objective will be to leave the parking lot at 12:00pm-noon Saturday, and complete the first main loop to the picnic table (and possibly the back sections depending on the groups level and strength) of the Fountainhead MTB course at a nice, easy pace (approx. 5 to 9-miles depending what sections we do) making frequent stops to pick up stragglers if needed and returning to the parking lot around 2:00pm.
Fitness Level -- FH is a moderate trail that can challenge most seasoned riders. I plan on stopping often, picking up stragglers, and keeping it to an "easy pace" as advertised. You should be in enough shape to ride for at least one hour, but we will stop after every big feature for everyone to catch their breath. I have tons of patience, so if you're worried about being left behind -- don't be! Check out my other rides to see that "no drop" means "no drop"!
Rules: The only requirements is for all riders to have a good helmet -- NO HELMET, NO RIDE --, have your mountain bike in moderate working order, have tires with some tread, bring some water, and something to keep you warm (e.g. dress in layers). Temperature will be in the upper 60's, but inside the treeline at FH is about 10-degrees colder.
Volunteers: Volunteers are always appreciated! We are always looking for Ride Leaders in the more experienced riders willing to help out our beginner cadre learn the trails and gain some single-track skills!
Northerners heading South to Fairfax Station:
1. I-66 West Bound
2. Exit onto Rt. 123 SOUTH (turns into Ox Rd.) for approx. 3 miles.
3. Right onto Henderson Rd.
4. Left on Hampton Rd.
5. Right into park.
6. Parking lot on the right.
Southerners heading North to Fairfax Station:
1. I-95 North Bound
2. Exit onto Rt. 123 NORTH (turns into Ox Rd.) for approx. 4.5 miles.
3. Left on Hampton Rd. for approx. 3 miles.
4. Left into park.
5. Parking lot on the right.
GPS Trail Source Maps of Fountainhead MTB Trails
I am looking forward to riding with you guys and gals at Fountainhead this coming Saturday! Not all rain is equal and some light rain will not stop us unless they close the MTB tails Saturday morning. If you have concerns about the trails, I will post a cancellation ASAP.
FH Trail Hotline
You can call the Fountainhead Regional Park hot line anytime for trail conditions [masked] -- Press #1). If they are closed, we don't ride.
Laurel Hill/Glen Meadow -- Lorton, VA
1. From DC, take I-95 South, take Lorton Rd exit (exit 163)
2. Right at bottom of ramp onto Lorton Road (west-bound)
3. Stay in Left Lane and go through 2-to-3-lights (road narrows to two lanes)
4. Giles Run (Laurel Hill) park entrance is on the right about 1/2-mile down Lorton Road (should see wood sign and brown park gate).
5. Follow the driveway up to the Left until you see the prison complex on your right.
6. Turn into parking lot on the Left
7. Park in the area near the playground.
GPS Trail Source Maps of Laurel Hill MTB Course