Summer Wednesday's are for Mountain Biking!
The Potomac Velo Club's (PVC) Wednesdays @ Wakefield (W@W) series continues a great tradition of "after work" mountain biking founded almost a decade ago at Wakefield Park. Sponsored by The Bike Lane, Crank Brothers, Positively Chiropractic, and Hammer Nutrition -- with 15% of race proceeds going to Trips for Kids -- this fun yet competitive multi-lap course brings out some of the best mountain bikers in Washington, DC! Special thanks to the Fairfax County Park Authority and the folks at Audrey Moore RECenter for helping us make your Summer Wednesday afternoons not suck!
This year's W@W 2012 Race Dates include:
- Race #1 @ Wakefield June 19, 2012
- Race #2 @ Wakefield June 26, 2012
- No Race - Independence Day Week, July 3, 2012
- Race #3 @ Wakefield July 10, 2012 -- Canceled
- Race #3 @ Wakefield July 17, 2012 (Rain Day)
- Race #4 @ Wakefield July 24, 2012 -- Series Final (Rain Day)
Classes, Cost, and Schedule
W@W has only race day registration with all adult classes $20.00/per racer and Juniors $5.00/per racer. Please check our website for a full list of classes, but typically we race Juniors at 5:30pm, Beginners and Master classes at 6:00pm, and all the fast guys in the Sport and Expert classes at 6:55pm. We hold awards after each race, and finish the 6:55pm race awards around 8:30pm, with cleanup and final bug out normally by 9:00pm.
How to Get There
This event will be held at Wakefield Park at 8100 Braddock Road in Annandale. To get to Wakefield Park:
- Take I-495 to exit 54A (Braddock Road West)
- Make first right into park entrance (Wakefield Park is immediately adjacent to the Beltway).
- Follow the road to the Recreation Center at the end of the paved road
- Look for a W@W parking volunteer. Right now, you may park on the right side of the gravel road that extends beyond the main road, but please park NOSE-IN due to the tight fit.
- Follow the crowd to registration and race start!
Don't have the scratch you need to race on Wednesday? No worries! Volunteer to help us out on a Wednesday and get your next Wednesday race for free! Please check with the Race Director before 5:30pm during each Wednesday's race to make sure you get credit for volunteering or signup to volunteer via [masked] so that we know you're coming. Note: volunteer credit is not transferable at this time.
Inclement Weather Notice
The races are held subject to trail conditions and weather. In case of inclement weather, updated race status will be posted on the website (www.potomacvelo.com) by Wednesday at 4pm (or on the upcoming website at: waw.potomacvelo.com).
You can also keep tabs on the W@W updates by following us on Twitter @potomacveloclub (Hash Tag: #WaWMTB) or Liking us on Facebook! Also check for news, updates, and results by visiting the PVC website at potomacvelo.com!
Hope to see you starting Wednesday, June 19th, 2013, at Wakefield!