DC Spin Doctors Message Board DC Spin Doctors › Metro Pylon Challenge

Metro Pylon Challenge

Christopher
user 12884814
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 9
I planned a 1 day route that will take me to all 86 Metro stations. I even locked up google maps several times while plotting it. Start and finish is my apartment in Ballston, and the goal is like a photo scavenger hunt to get a picture of my scooter in front of every station's pylon in the system. It is a lot of turns and stops in the 175-mile duration, so I plan to take this trip solo. I think it would be a fun little adventure for other riders to try if interested. The proposed route will be from home, going west to Vienna, SE to Franconia, then make my way in, hitting the Blue/Yellow Virginia stations. Cross Memorial Bridge and hit FB, then pick up the Red line @ Dupont all the way to Shady Grove, then follow back in from Glenmont to Fort Totten. Then I'll go outbound on the green, and inbound on the Maryland Orange, then outbound again on the Maryland Blue, and inbound on the Green from Branch Avenue to Anacostia. After that, it is a "downtown scramble" with a lot of stop and go, followed by the Rosslyn-Ballston homestretch. I'm really excited about it, just waiting on a warmer day (at least 50s) so I don't freeze my toes off before Vienna. Including stops and meals, I'm expecting anywhere from a 9-12 hour ride. It's like getting a game trophy on Playstation, when you unlock all map areas, or discover each hidden treasure. When I'm done, I'll hear a little beep and the achievement trophy will magically appear in the upper right corner of my imagination. Stay tuned, and plenty of pictures to follow!
Spike
user 11337268
Group Organizer
Arlington, VA
Post #: 23
Hah that's a cool idea, and ambitious. Not sure I'd wanna do it though, since I'm not crazy about city driving, but I'd be impressed if you do it. Can you post all 86 pictures here? :)
A former member
Post #: 15
Yer crazy Mr. C!
And only crazy hardcore gamers explore every area for every trophy!

Enjoy your madness!

On another note; windproof underwear is crazy expensive; rev it's long johns are 100bones,
so I'm buying a $6 pair of long johns and a 10$ bottle of liquid latex, of which I'll paint a thin layer on the front of the pants for windproofing---anyone know if this is bound to fail?
Spike
user 11337268
Group Organizer
Arlington, VA
Post #: 24
try some snowpants
A former member
Post #: 16
try some snowpants

Thanks for the advice spike, however my question is if anyone knows why liquid latex and cotton wouldn't bond.
A former member
Post #: 33
There are cold weather pants, that are fairly inexpensive. Go to www.leatherup.com
ATGATT
Don D.
DonGTV
Southport, NC
Post #: 9
Yer crazy Mr. C!
And only crazy hardcore gamers explore every area for every trophy!

Enjoy your madness!

On another note; windproof underwear is crazy expensive; rev it's long johns are 100bones,
so I'm buying a $6 pair of long johns and a 10$ bottle of liquid latex, of which I'll paint a thin layer on the front of the pants for windproofing---anyone know if this is bound to fail?

Jason, I bought wind and waterproof full zip pants at EMS for about $50. They aren't warm but they are very dry and easy on/off. I'll bring them when we set a date for brunch.
Christopher
user 12884814
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 10
Jason, I bought wind and waterproof full zip pants at EMS for about $50. They aren't warm but they are very dry and easy on/off. I'll bring them when we set a date for brunch.
I do the carhartt insulated coveralls with a base layer underneath. Not completely windproof, but keeps me pretty warm. I was out for a bit yesterday and Thursday. Good for shorter rides. Long rides, I'll wear my spare set of FF pants, completely wind and vapor proof.
Christopher
user 12884814
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 11
Hah that's a cool idea, and ambitious. Not sure I'd wanna do it though, since I'm not crazy about city driving, but I'd be impressed if you do it. Can you post all 86 pictures here? :)
Yea, I can post them on here. I'm still waiting for a nice enough day, like in the 40s and I'm not just getting out of work and tired. It's going to be a long day, I want to be well rested and on the road no later than 5:30am.
Christopher
user 12884814
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 13
well, I finally did it! Wednesday was the best window of opportunity to take advantage of the nice weather.

I posted several pictures on my flicker page HERE and HERE. The second link has a full write up along the left margin. Now I just gotta figure out my next one. Maybe all 39 Fairfax County Fire Stations in 1 day.... in Numerical order, that's the kicker! I'll have to try mapping that one out and see how many hundred miles it takes me.