THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS Message Board › New Meetup: 14er trip - La Plata (Sat) & Huron (Sun) in the Sawatch range

New Meetup: 14er trip - La Plata (Sat) & Huron (Sun) in the Sawatch range

This message board is read-only.

Lisa G.
DrLisaGriffiths
Aurora, CO
Announcing a new Meetup for THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS!

What: 14er trip - La Plata (Sat) & Huron (Sun) in the Sawatch range

When: May 22, 2009 4:00 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: Memorial day wknd 14er climb.

Note: This trip is tentative due to ever changing weather conditions. If the weather is looking grim in the Sawatch range for this weekend, I will plan something else somewhere else.

Friday
For purposes of carpooling, we will meet on Friday at the Stegosaurus lot at 4pm off I-70 and Morrison. If others need to meet later, you can arrange that through the site. Will camp out near the trailheads for both peaks. More info on that to come later. You can also meet at the trailhead in the morning but note the time we plan to start -- as that is when we will start. We will start early as it is the safest thing to do.

Saturday - LA PLATA
Begin ascent at 530am to be off the summit before noon and to avoid lightning/storm possibilities
9.5 miles RT, 4500 ft gain, trailhead elevation = 10,000 ft, summit elevation 14,336 ft, Class 2
This climb could take 7-8 hours at a moderate pace, more time if you are slower. It is not a beginner 14er. More of an intermediate level.
La Plata info:
http://www.14ers.com/...­

Drive to Huron and camp out there. Need high clearance 4WD to get to the upper trailhead at Huron.

Sunday - HURON
Begin ascent at 630am to be off the summit before noon and to avoid lightning/storm possibilities
5.5 miles RT, 3500 ft gain, trailhead elevation = 10,560 ft, summit elevation 14,003 ft, Class 2
This climb could take 4.5-5 hours at a moderate pace, more time if you are slower. This can be a beginner 14er.
Huron info:
http://www.14ers.com/...­

Drive back Sun night so we can have a rest day on Monday.

Important: I do not discourage "slower" hikers from coming along as long as you are properly geared up, strong/fit, and start early with the group. The early time gives ample time for a slower trek up and a summit before noon. With a large enough group, we may be able to split into two or three smaller groups to allow people to go at a pace comfortable for them. NO ONE shoud ever be left alone to hike. Someone is always the slowest and that is okay. The next few slowest people should always stick together. If you are not willing to stay with a group, this is not the hike for you. Please be conscious of that as the purpose of this is to hike with a group - the people joining are doing so because they do not like/want to climb alone.

I will post more info on necessary gear soon. Please contact me with questions via email.

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­