THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS Message Board › New Meetup: Castle/Conundrum 14er hike and playtime in Aspen

New Meetup: Castle/Conundrum 14er hike and playtime in Aspen

This message board is read-only.

Lisa G.
DrLisaGriffiths
Aurora, CO
Announcing a new Meetup for THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS!

What: Castle/Conundrum 14er hike and playtime in Aspen

When: June 26, 2009 4:00 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: Note: This trip is tentative due to ever changing weather conditions. If the weather is looking grim in the Elk range for this weekend, I will plan something else somewhere else.

Friday
For purposes of carpooling, we will meet on Friday at the Stegosaurus lot at 4pm off I-70 and Morrison. If others need to meet later, you can arrange that through the site. Will likely camp out near the trailhead for both peaks. More info on that to come later. You can also meet at the trailhead in the morning but note the time we plan to start -- as that is when we will start. We will start early as it is the safest thing to do.

Need high clearance 4WD to get to the upper trailhead.

Saturday - CASTLE / CONUNDRUM COMBO
Begin ascent at 530am to be off both summits before noon and to avoid lightning/storm possibilities

8+ miles RT, 3350+ ft gain, trailhead elevation = 11,200 ft (upper trailhead), summit elevation 14,265 ft, Difficult Class 2 (These numbers reflect the distance and gain if your car makes it all the way up to the upper trailhead).

This climb could take 7-8+ hours at a moderate pace and depending how far your vehicle gets you up the road, more time if you are a slower hiker. It is not a beginner 14er. More of a high intermediate level.

Combo hike info:
http://www.14ers.com/...­

Enjoy Sat night and Sunday in Aspen. Stay an extra day if you want or come back Sunday night.

Important: NO ONE shoud ever be left alone to hike. Someone is always the slowest and that is okay. The next few slowest people should always stick together. If you are not willing to stay with a group, this is not the hike for you. Please be conscious of that as the purpose of this is to hike with a group - the people joining are doing so because they do not like/want to climb alone.

I will post more info on necessary gear soon. Please contact me with questions via email.

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­