addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS Message Board › New Meetup: Little Bear Group

New Meetup: Little Bear Group

This message board is read-only.

Frank
Frank_Casali_Jr.
Denver, CO
Announcing a new Meetup for THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS!

What: Little Bear Group

When: Saturday, June 5, 2010 7:00 AM

Where: (A location has not been chosen yet.)

Hello, hello! This will be my final year doing 14ers. One of my friends and I will be done with all 59(official and unofficial) 14ers in Colorado. Join us on some of our last 14er trips this summer. We will be having a celebration party in September or October...look for details on this. During my retirement, I am going to let myself go, get fat, possibly grow a second chin and play video games all day long.:)

To get to the Little Bear group will be an adventure in itself. You will need a rugged 4-wheel drive vehicle...preferably a jeep or lifted truck/SUV to drive to base of these mountains. You can backpack or mountain bike into these mountains as well. Once there, we will camp and do three 14ers.

We will be hiking the Ellingwood, Blanca and Little Bear 14ers, located in the Sangre de Cristo range, over the course of 2-3 days. We will be hiking these mountains in the first week of June. The reason is it is safer to hike Little Bear with snow cover. Snow cover prevents loose rocks from falling down on us. You will need metal crampons to hike up the snow-covered slopes of Little Bear.

You must be in super shape to do this event. Also, you will need some climbing skills for Little Bear. Little Bear is a class 4 climb and one of hardest of all the 14ers in Colorado. Ellingwood and Blanca are easier, but you still need to be a good 14ers hiker for these peaks.

More details to come. I will have a planning meeting in April/May to go over carpooling and directions to the mountains and other details...maybe put together happy hours to have everyone coming on the trip to meet each other.

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­