Denver Internet Mastermind Group Message Board › Suggestions for TV broadcast of meetings from Denver Open Media?

Suggestions for TV broadcast of meetings from Denver Open Media?

Anita
Anita_Edge
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 6
Proposal: We join Denver Open Media as a group and hold meetings in their larger studio (60 person capacity). Each meeting will be broadcast live on public access TV, will be recorded, edited, and later uploaded to their site and ours. Cost is $1,000 for the group and we need 4 members to train (included with membership) in tv production.

See the email sent out at lowhangingloot.com/Documents/TV-program-need-feedback.doc­.

See current vision for the future at lowhangingloot.com/DIMGvision.aspx­.
Jeremy J B.
user 9586752
Silverthorne, CO
Post #: 1
Hi Anita,

Sounds exciting Anita! And yes lots of work. I have done some video work and editing both on and offline. Further training would be welcome! Further training both behind the camera and with editing. Video is the future of online so getting with the program is a great idea.

For future sake you may consider a corporate/or non-profit entity for this enterprise. Have the initial contributions “buy in” to the whole idea and provide a sense of ownership. Sell the idea that the original contributors are “special” status like founders or gold members and they pay a little more. You get the idea. This means the entity will have visibility to all "stakeholders" and provide some fiscal responsibility/oversight. Who knows it could get big.

All the best,

Jeremy Black
YodaCom
www.yodacom.com
A former member
Post #: 5
I agree that there is lots of potential here. I am not familiar with the Open Media Center but I would definitely be interested in learning more about video production as well as providing a solid future for the DIMG meetup.

With that said, as I look at the initial thoughts, I see two big issues looming.

First, when we start talking about his sort of budget and the organization to manage it and provide the fiscal responsibility, significant issues begin to loom. I think it will very quickly need to be something other than just a "meetup" that gets together and talks about "stuff". There will need to be a lot more formality to the management. Are there other meetups that have grown out of the basic meetup paradigm? Are there other meetups that are using this facility and can we learn something from their experiences and approaches?

Second, I think the ideas about the future potentials are good brainstorming. However, there is a minor piece that is missing. That is the inequity of one person attending the meeting (for a price) and the second person merely watching the video for nothing. At the same time, if the meeting is broadcast live, there is no control over the distribution and the potential return from that distribution. There is something missing in this collection of thoughts and potential streams of visibility.

One thought on the issue of raising the $1000 is that if we charged a modest fee for the meetings (say $10 or $15 per meeting) and we had 30 or 40 attendees at each meeting and we had 10 meetings per year, that amounts to $3000 to $6000 per year which would obviously cover the membership and more. There are payment plans available for the Organizational Membership which might be the way to go.

Thanks for all your hard work in putting together these thoughts and investigating alternative approaches.
Scott R.
scottrodgers
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
I say Go For It! I'm in for $10, $15, or $25 on the membership fee. The location is convenient: near I-25 & 6th Avenue. There is big value in being at the event -- networking, asking questions, shaping the conversation at times, front row seat -- so I would not worry too much about online/TV viewing. If it is an issue, perhaps a sponsor could provide a giveaway.

Scott