addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Denver Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) Meetup Group Message Board › What distros does everyone use?

What distros does everyone use?

A former member
Post #: 5
I?m finally switching over and going completely anti-Microsoft on my home network. I have a RedHat Fedora Core 6 laptop, Ubuntu desktop, and Xubuntu desktop. The server has been Windows 2003 as most already know from my last BBS posting. I was thinking I?d go with a Ubuntu Server install since two out of 4 are already Ubuntu (Debian) based, which got me thinking? what does everyone else use?

So, for my own curiosity and help/reference for those who might have only tried one or two flavors of Linux (or none at all). My question for everyone is what distro is everyone using and why did you decide on it?
A former member
Post #: 3
I am currently "stuck" on Fedora Core. http://fedoraproject....­
Stuck is a good thing fro me.
While there is still a little way to go on the package management side, I am able to be as bleeding edge as the distro provides.

I have also been very happy with the stability. We have run FC2 and FC4 in production for the last 3 1/2 years. Some of that comes from using RedHat distributions in the past and it was a natural progression to continue with the "low cost" community option.

We have used Slackware for some of our earlier mixed use servers, but the RedHat or RPM based distributions have given us good flexibility across our company. It helps to really find something that works well for you. being able to network kickstart our machines to baseline configurations and have very little hardware compatability issues is a plus.

A flavor close to Unix has not yet driven me to the Debian side to stay.

We are currently looking at Centos http://www.centos.org...­ as the Fedora alternative for serves. It is a branch or follows the RedHat Enterprise Server.

If I had a few more hours in the day I may try to experiment more.

-Rick
A former member
Post #: 9
Quick run down ...

External personal server: CentOS 5.0
Laptop: Ubuntu (best distro for the santa rosa chipset)
Home fileserver: Fedora Core 7 (great stability, typically I do not update until the next full release)
Work server farm: Debian 4.0 (etch)

While 'yum' is getting there I still think 'apt' wins in the package management ... switching between the BSD vs. SVR5 style init scripts hasn't bothered me too much since I used to admin a mixed bag of HP/UX, Solaris, and AIX, no opinion there ...

Have come through Slackware, Turbolinux, Suse and Redhat ... RHEL3 was my OS before switching to CentOS5 and there is not much difference between those two ...

Once you are comfortable with the command-line and the standard config setup for your needed apps you'll find that the distro doesn't make as much difference to operations ... just in the upgrade path (Debian stable vs testing vs unstable for example) ...

Not sure if any of this is useful ... but there it is :)