The Denver Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) Meetup Group Message Board › A New Year! Time to MeetUp!

A New Year! Time to MeetUp!

A former member
Post #: 5
Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2008! After a bumpy start in 2007 with having only two meet ups, we look forward to a better organized 2008. Instead of Sonu trying to single handedly manage the MeetUp he has drafted two volunteers to assist him. I will Scott introduce himself.

As for myself. I'm Raymond DeRoo, the organizer of the MySQL MeetUp ( which never really got off the ground either :( ). The MySQL MeetUp will most likely be folded into the LAMP MeetUp unless there is significant reasoning not to do as such.

So what is new and different in 2008? I'm glad you asked! For beginners, we have established meeting time. The 4th Wednesday of the month at 7pm. Location will be near the Cherry Creek mall ( exact location depends upon the number of people stating they will be attending ).

The topic of this meeting hasn't been chosen yet, so if anyone has some ideas that they would like to see present ( or present themselves ) let me know. I look forward to seeing all of you there!

.r
A former member
Post #: 4
Thats great news Raymond (MySQL guy)!
I look forward to getting back together for the continued discussions.
I do want to thank Associated Content for their efforts getting this group off the ground.

-Rick
A former member
Post #: 6
As a suggestion for a topic one month, perhaps it should be considered for a later month so we can figure out how knowledgable people are with databases, but I was thinking it might be good to discuss the pros/cons, why and when you would use the MyISAM engine as compared to InnoDB engines for tables.

Personally I'm a developer, not a DBA. It seems like today many of us are acting as both in one way or another. I have basic knowledge of databases, but learning more is always a good thing to make things more efficient. Which you use when making simple applications (like making a fantasy football results site**) doesn't matter much, since the amount of data you're dealing with is small, but when you're designing something that is intended to be scaleable it can make a different in response time for your visitors as the database size grows. It seems to me like more and more people seem to just "make it work" with the attitude that computers are just getting faster, so bad design will be compensated for over time.

Perhaps within the group we have someone who has been a DBA and could hold a quick 15-20 minute basic database design review, followed up by general open discussion? If you were tasked with making linkin or facebook, what database design scheme would you come up with? It wouldn't matter much if you were only going to be an internal company site for your 30 employees, but it definitely begins to matter when you have 30 million+ users.

**I'm not trying to pick on whoever that was at one of the meetings, but I did remember your short demonstration of it, and know that database isn't very large in your case.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm somewhat new to Colorado since moving here in April '07 but I've been working as a MySQL DBA since I got here. I'd be happy to share / discuss MySQL related issues. I'm planning on attending this meetup...Bring your horror stories and problems. I'm no expert, so I can't promise any good answers, but I will definitely try my best to help.

johndz
John
jcfiala
Denver, CO
Post #: 383
Sounds great - I already had something going on this month, but maybe in a future month I can show up. I'd love to brag about the new www.popsci.com site, which is going to be going live sometime in the next 24 hours.