Denver Metro Coed Drop-in Volleyball Message Board › Buying a volleyball net.

Buying a volleyball net.

Da-Vi'do
user 6786208
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
The big difference between a cheap volleyball net and more expensive nets is the ease to put the net up and whether the net will "throw" the ball out of it. With collapsing poles, U can get the net up quickly and get a tight net that will 'pop' the ball out of the net so U get another chance to get it over the net. Cheaper nets use poles that must be assembled from pieces and/or use PVC poles that break easily.
Another prime consideration is how long the net will last. A good quality net system will last over 10 years. I know that they will, because I have Park and Sun Spectrum nets over 10 years old, and they are still in great shape.
I am partial to Park and Sun Spectrum nets because they go up quick and are easy to get a nice tight net that provides the best consistent play. Some others prefer the Ultimate or Cobra nets. I have never used a Cobra net, and the one Ultimate net that I owned was quite a bit heavier than my Park and Sun nets. I also have had PVC and steel poled nets of various manufactures, and didn't like any of them. PVC is strong enough for badminton, but not for volleyball. Steel poled nets are too heavy for me, and usually don't collapse for storage and ease of erection. The only exception to the steel collapsible poled nets is one made by Easton. It is nowhere near the quality of play of a Park and Sun Spectrum or aluminum poled Centerline, but it is so compact U can easily carry it on a bike, and still somewhat durable. One of our members has one of these. U can recognize it by the reddish boundary line.
Probably the best deal in used nets are the Centerline aluminum poled nets with the steel poled Centerline close behind. They are durable and easy to put up, except they take a little longer to get the net tight. They do have plastic components that attach the net to the pole that break, but they can be tied in place with the existing cords, or replaced with bunji cords. I don't like the Centerline net as much as the Park and Sun Spectrum net, but the Centerline is usually $50-$100 less than a used Park and Sun. The steel poled Centerline isn't collapable, but they seem to last forever.
For the second cheapest volleyball setup, find a volleyball sand court that doesn't have a net. Then U can get a net for $30 or less and mark out the boundaries with a drag of the foot in the sand. Most of the volleyball courts that already have a net up are taken during the week by leagues, and too many people on the weekends. There are sand courts in two locations in Arvada that don't have nets.

If U buy a net with plastic stakes to hold the support ropes in place, replace them with steel tent stakes from Walmart for $2.50 for four of them. Walmart also has cord winders to wrap the boundary cords for $3 for 3 of them in the electrical department. The surplus store on the east side of Broadway just north of Hampden also has the same the same stakes right near the front door. The only reason to keep plastic stakes is for play on sand. They seem to stay in better than metal and U don't have to worry about breaking them like on grass.

Don't buy a made in China Daytona Aluminum 32 ft Pro Volleyball Net System on the internet. They are very cheap and the pull cords to tighten the net don't work. The boundary is the wrong size, and the Daytona importer is worthless to work with. Daytona usual ships the nets in flimsy packaging so the nets are damaged. I have bought two nets from them and both were damaged and open on the ends. emails to them weren't answered initially, but then answered with sarcasm and disdain. If U can put up with Dayton Sports terrible customer service, U can get one of these nets for $40 or so in the fall and replace the parts that don't work it to make a possible good buy. Just the aluminum poles go for over $60 at Park and Sun. Park and Sun is headquartered here in Denver, but they only sell parts, not whole net systems.
Da-Vi'do
user 6786208
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 149
If you are going to use a net a lot, then sand is the way to go, but for recreational use making a sand court is really too much of a commitment and cost. If you insist on sand in your back yard then it is best to put up posts in concrete like they have at public sand courts and then use the winch system to get your net tight. Go with a steel cable topped net to make it stronger against the people going into it. Many recreational players will hang in the net so the stronger the better. (Or just play at a public court and all you have to buy is a outdoor ball. Preferably the Spalding King of the Beach ball for $40. Don't buy a replica ball. ) Buy some adjustable lines from Park and Sun, or if you are on a tight budget, just mark some lines in the sand. Making your own boundaries is more expensive than buying them already made off of eBay.

Walmart does have Park and Sun nets on their website, as do other big box stores.

The easiest net to put up and take down is the Park and Sun systems. But there have been quality problems with even their best Spectrum net systems. It use to be that the nets would last 15 or more years even with abuse, but now they have a tendency to tear at the top even when not being abused. So keep your receipt so you can get a replacement net if it tears. If you can get a Spectrum 2000 or Spectrum Classic that is very old then they are better as the quality back then was much better. I have nets 15 or more years old that have outlasted a year old newer nets. If you are just going to leave a net up in the back yard, then putting up and taking down isn't that important. You should probably go with a stronger more expensive net like Home Court. Don't buy a used one with the black plastic knobs on the posts. That particular discontinued model is not strong enough for anything except bad-mitten. Home Court net systems are much heavier and take longer to put up, but the upper level ones provide a tighter net and more professional net response than Park and Sun. (except for P&S permanent in-ground models. )

I wouldn't use a Gared Sports Mongoose Wireless Outdoor Volleyball Net System ore similar nets as the post that you put in the ground shifts so you have to pull it out and then put it back in ever couple of hours to keep the net tight. They are illegal to put up in parks as the post goes so deep in the ground as to puncture sprinkler systems. The advantage of the Gared nets is they don't have support ropes so your players aren't running into them. There are other manufactures that also use a post pounded in the ground, but they have the same problems with the post shifting.
Source(s):
I have been playing volleyball for over 40 years and have used just about every make of portable net out there. I have owned most models at some time if not currently. I have 8 nets of different makes in the garage right now. I mostly use Park and Sun Classics nets that are over 15 years old. I mostly play in public parks with meetup groups.