Denver Metro Coed Drop-in Volleyball Message Board › A beginner asks a question if meetup is a good place to play

A beginner asks a question if meetup is a good place to play

Da-Vi'do
user 6786208
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 49
I received this email about whether the meetup is a good place to come to improve skills in volleyball.

Question
> on the Meetup volleyball, is this a good place for
> beginners? I'm definitely beginner, took a class with
> Sandy Wong; and am looking out for places that don't
> mind someone who's not too good yet. I don't want to
> interfere but want to get better!

My Reply

Most of the people are an intermediate level, with some experts and occasional beginners.
The main difference between beginners and our group or players is the basic procedures of play, and you should have learned that well in Sandys' class. What I am talking about is the procedure of the setter(the center up person) always getting the second hit no matter where the ball is headed, except in extenuating circumstances, and attempting to have 3 hits per side.
These are the habits, that when lacking, usually cause problems at the meetups, so if you have mastered those ideas in practice you would probably be comfortable at a meetup. The only other skill/practice that would be needed is knowing how to bump the ball with a fair amount of accuracy. Setting, spiking, serving, and other skills aren't as important and can be learned as you go.

Last night we did have about 3 or 5 beginners that didn't have the basic procedural skills, but they still played without too much problems. I didn't play on the two nets that they were on. I didn't formally designate nets according to skill levels, but it just happened that the net I was on had only higher skill leveled people on it all afternoon/evening.

I encourage you to continue your learning with skills classes/clinics and attending drop-ins around the city. Some of the drop-ins are only for expert level players. Lilley Gulch near SouthWest Plaza is usually at this level as are some other areas. I have mentioned other drop-in sites on the website.

One way to improve your skills is lots of bumping up against a wall or with another player. I do this for an 15 minutes to a hour when warming up before play. Some people practice by bumping or setting into a basket ball hoop to practice accuracy.
Dave (Davido)